What type of rabbit do I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtorabbits

Reaction score
I may be getting a rabbit soon and I wanted to know what type he is. Currently, he is my uncle's but since he is moving I might be able to get the rabbit! I don't have any pictures but he has upright ears, black eyes, is mostly white with black splotches, I would say he is about medium sized (5-7lbs) , and he has a short coat. Any advice on taking care of bunnies would be appreciated too!

There are a ton of different kinds of rabbit that could be and it is impossible to even guess without a picture. The odds a pretty good that he's a mix since lots of rabbits are mixes, although he could be a single breed. Post a picture and someone may be able to guess. :)

Congrats on your soon-to-be bunny! While there is lots of advice that can be given, some of it you can learn as you go. Most of the stuff I'll note you probably know, but it's the things that can't be forgotten. The really important stuff to know from the start is that your bunny will need to always have fresh water and hay. Almost all emergencies that I've seen in new rabbit owners are because they've failed to have constant hay and water available. If your rabbit ever stops eating or doesn't poop for 24 hours he is very sick and needs to see a vet immediately. Most rabbits don't like to be held and handled very much, so treat your new friend gently and learn how he wants to be handled. If he isn't neutered you will likely want to get him neutered to prevent bad behavior, although not all unneutered rabbits will display the behaviors associated with unneutered rabbits. There is a ton more advice that could be given, but a lot of it depends on what you already know, and I don't to be too long-winded.

I highly recommend the book Rabbits for Dummies to all new bunny owners, it's a fantastic resource and crash course in the really important information. There is a free PDF of the book in the Rabbit Knowledge library on this site. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Thanks! I found a photo of him (since in the description I left I was going off memory) so I think he may be a Dutch rabbit. I'm not sure if he is neutered but if he isn't I will look into getting it done. I know the cage they have now is VERY small for a rabbit. It also has a wire bottom which I heard is bad for their feet. They also keep the rabbit outside but I was going to set up a indoor cage with a little door so he can roam outside in a little playpen. Do rabbits need anything to eat other than hay? Like maybe some fresh veggies as treats? I heard rabbit cages have to be 4 times the size of the rabbit, but should I aim for bigger than that?

Absolutely aim for bigger than that! My duo free roam, and live in a space that is roughly 90 ft^2, although the smallest area I could imagine one rabbit being truly happy in is probably 16 ft^2. Once your rabbit is neutered you will likely be able to litter train and then free roaming with a home base (like a dog kennel) will also be an option. The plan you are making with a playpen sounds good, just depending on the size. I would definitely ditch the wire bottom cage in favor of a litterbox too. When thinking about housing I just imagine how I would want to live if I were a rabbit and move from there.

The general rule of thumb is two cups of greens a day, although the amount will vary with the size of the rabbit. Spring mix-type greens are a good starting place, but there are lots of options.

I have a real soft spot for dutchs, if I ever were to be interested in another rabbit I would probably look for a dutch from a rescue. I'm sure your little guy is adorable. What's his name?

Don't offer greens or veggies right away-- not unless you know he's been getting them already. Rabbits have very delicate digestive systems and a sudden intro of greens can cause all kinds of gut problems. There is a process to gradually introduce fresh greens.

Thankfully, breed type doesn't change the care recommendations. Once you get a photo, we may be able to narrow down a possible breed.

I'd like to offer my website for a resource on rabbit care. It shows better on a laptop than on a phone (I find the mobile version less user friendly). But there you will find housing recommendations, diet info, how to litter train, how to bond with your rabbit, etc.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Absolutely aim for bigger than that! My duo free roam, and live in a space that is roughly 90 ft^2, although the smallest area I could imagine one rabbit being truly happy in is probably 16 ft^2. Once your rabbit is neutered you will likely be able to litter train and then free roaming with a home base (like a dog kennel) will also be an option. The plan you are making with a playpen sounds good, just depending on the size. I would definitely ditch the wire bottom cage in favor of a litterbox too. When thinking about housing I just imagine how I would want to live if I were a rabbit and move from there.

The general rule of thumb is two cups of greens a day, although the amount will vary with the size of the rabbit. Spring mix-type greens are a good starting place, but there are lots of options.

I have a real soft spot for dutchs, if I ever were to be interested in another rabbit I would probably look for a dutch from a rescue. I'm sure your little guy is adorable. What's his name?
He has a few names Bun Bun, Bunny, Wabbit, and Oreo. I think I'm going to change his name to something more unique like Zinc or maybe Aspen. I will definitely give him lots of greens! It's too bad he hasn't been getting them sooner.
Don't offer greens or veggies right away-- not unless you know he's been getting them already. Rabbits have very delicate digestive systems and a sudden intro of greens can cause all kinds of gut problems. There is a process to gradually introduce fresh greens.

Thankfully, breed type doesn't change the care recommendations. Once you get a photo, we may be able to narrow down a possible breed.

I'd like to offer my website for a resource on rabbit care. It shows better on a laptop than on a phone (I find the mobile version less user friendly). But there you will find housing recommendations, diet info, how to litter train, how to bond with your rabbit, etc.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
Thanks I will check out your website

He has a few names Bun Bun, Bunny, Wabbit, and Oreo. I think I'm going to change his name to something more unique like Zinc or maybe Aspen. I will definitely give him lots of greens! It's too bad he hasn't been getting them sooner.

Thanks I will check out your website
As Blue eyes said, be sure to introduce new foods like greens very slowly and not give them at all at first if he isn't used to them. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back