What type of pellets???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownies

Reaction score
What type of oellets should I feed my future bunnies? What do you recommend???

There are a TON of different brands, I started out feeding our buns the pellets that had dried carrots and beans and peas etc all mixed up in it...well, now they won't eat just plain old pellets...so to utilize my cash the best way, I pick up the 50lb bag of pellets from our local feed store and use my dehydrator to dry carrots and ginger and apples [I like that there aren't any preservatives in the veggies and fruits when I dry them myself] and mix it in as needed to their feed.

I don't believe the poster has a rabbit yet, so could end up with either an 8 week old or an adult. Knowing what country you live in would also be helpful as not all pellet brands are available in all countries. Australia, for example, has very limited availability of good quality pellets.

The basics are, if you're feeding a young rabbit up to the age of about 6 months (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) you will want to feed an alfalfa/lucerne based pellet. For adult rabbits, you want to feed them timothy based pellets.

I am in the United States. I believe I'm buying the bunny in a petstore (sad I know) and they look pretty young.

You don't have to buy from a pet store to get a baby rabbit, many rescues and breeders also sell babies. Rabbits shouldn't be sold before 8 weeks of age, pet stores often do and when they do, they sometimes get sick easily, so just be careful :)

Figured I'd reply to your PM here. All rabbits should have an unlimited supply of hay available. I like to give Bandit a handful about the same size as him, then about half a day later when it gets low, I give him another handful. Just make sure they always have hay available. For a baby timothy hay is fine if you're feeding alfalfa pellets, but you can add a little alfalfa hay too if you like. As for the pellets, from 8 weeks to 4 months old you can feed unlimited pellets (though if the rabbit isn't touching his/her hay, you could limit it a little), and at 4 months start to slowly reduce the amount until at about 6-8 months old you're feeding a set amount of pellets. This would be 1/4-1/2 cup of pellets per 5 pounds of rabbit per day. In the USA, I believe some good quality, popular brands are Oxbow, Sherwood Forest, Kaytee and Burgess. Most if not all of those brands will have an adult pellet (timothy based) and a junior pellet (alfalfa based).

When feeding Timothy hay pellets, look for high fiber (18% or more) and low protein (14% or less) and no junk food in it, ie, dried apple, carrots, seeds, etc. Just the pellets, nothing else. Also, check the ingredients list and make sure the FIRST thing listed is Timothy hay, not alfalfa (for an adult rabbit), not Timothy middlings (this is floor sweepings), and not wheat middlings. For example, Oxbow Adult Rabbit Food information is as follows, notice the first 3 ingredients are grasses. The amount of the ingredient goes from most to least, so it has more Timothy grass than anything else and the least is Calcium Iodate (I've no idea what that is). But, basically, high fiber, low protein, and no junk food.

Ingredients
Timothy Grass, Orchard Grass, Oat Grass, Oat Hulls, Canola Meal, Whole Yellow Pea, Whole Barley, Tomato Pomace (dehydrated), Cane Molasses, Flax Seed, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Lignin Sulfonate, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Rosemary, Dried Thyme, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Inulin, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 12.00%
Crude Fat (min) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (min) 22.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 26.00%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 0.40%
Calcium (max) 0.80%
Phosphorus (min) 0.35%
Copper (min) 35 mg/kg
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg (min)
Vitamin D (min) 900 IU/kg (min)