What type of litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm Idk from the link you sent some of the information is off. Freeroam rabbits don’t need cages and playpens are usually between $30-$50 and other stuff can be less too, I guess if you are buying the most expensive stuff then sure it can be $700 it can be thousands too if you want a rabbit living the luxury life. But from where I get my stuff playpen are around $30, food bowls are $5 or less, and fleece bedding is around $5 per yard. However it is different for everyone.
http://www.saveabunny.org/rabbitcare/basicsif you scroll to the bottom it says “ongoing expenses is $20+ a month” so it usually is around there so a year a rabbit would be $240 plus vet care would be $300 - $40” ish . Not an exact just a guess and estimate there are other factors but that’s just the basics. But it can vary I guess some people may be spending thousands while others are spending less like with any other animal.

The info is not off by any means. The point of those sites (there are 2 sites linked on costs... not just the one) is to show that the average person who gets a rabbit and tries to buy stuff from a pet store every month, is going to be spending lots of money. The prices you were quoting from the binkybunny site are for set-up costs, but we were talking about ongoing maintenance costs. (They have $6 for a single bowl, so $12 for "bowls.") It is advised for even free roam rabbits to have a cage.

The ongoing, monthly costs shown on both sites are what it will cost if one does not take cost-saving measures like growing a garden and buying in bulk.

The link you provided does not breakdown their $20/month estimate. It is on a site trying to get people to adopt a rabbit so they are painting a rosy picture. Greens alone will cost more than $20 per month from a grocery store (2-4 cups of greens per day per rabbit).

The savings one can get by avoiding the "normal" (pet/grocery store) purchases is explained on the original "costs" link provided:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

Last edited:
The info is not off by any means. The point of those sites (there are 2 sites linked on costs... not just the one) is to show that the average person who gets a rabbit and tries to buy stuff from a pet store every month, is going to be spending lots of money. The prices you were quoting from the binkybunny site are for set-up costs, but we were talking about ongoing maintenance costs. (They have $6 for a single bowl, so $12 for "bowls.") It is advised for even free roam rabbits to have a cage.

The ongoing, monthly costs shown on both sites are what it will cost if one does not take cost-saving measures like growing a garden and buying in bulk.

The link you provided does not breakdown their $20/month estimate. It is on a site trying to get people to adopt a rabbit so they are painting a rosy picture. Greens alone will cost more than $20 per month from a grocery store (2-4 cups of greens per day per rabbit).

The savings one can get by avoiding the "normal" (pet/grocery store) purchases is explained on the original "costs" link provided:

Are you saying the info is precise? It can be different for everyone. However the start up cost is around $100 and about $20-$30 afterwards every month. There isn’t a way to sugar coat it, I know rabbits are expensive. However assuming that they are $700 a year seems much. So I feel like most people are spending around $500 the first year they get a rabbit. Most people do not buy small bags from what I see. However everyone is different. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on. :)

I also feel like rabbits are not the most expensive. Now by no means am I saying rabbits are cheap. Because they are not. However dogs usually cost over $1000 a year, some even $5,000! So calling a rabbit the most expensive seems a little. I don’t know however rabbits are not most expensive.

These options are both available but cost a lot to ship.
I can drive 12 miles to get one of them. Going to find out if I can do a socially-distanced store pick up.
Thank you so much for this helpful advice!

Are you saying the info is precise? It can be different for everyone. However the start up cost is around $100 and about $20-$30 afterwards every month. There isn’t a way to sugar coat it, I know rabbits are expensive. However assuming that they are $700 a year seems much. So I feel like most people are spending around $500 the first year they get a rabbit. Most people do not buy small bags from what I see. However everyone is different. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on. :)
I think it's relatively on par. About $20 per month on pellet food, maybe $100 on simply annual vet bills, $10 per month + on hay, Greens vary by season, I save in the summer gathering dandelions from my yard, Litter varies, set up varies, but it all adds up... some areas you will spend less, some areas more! :)

Let’s just agree to disagree and move on. :)
:) I think we really are in agreement here. The cost savings are all shown and explained on my website link.

We also have a couple large dogs. I know for sure that in the winter (no garden then) we're spending more on one rabbit than on 2 dogs.

:) I think we really are in agreement here. The cost savings are all shown and explained on my website link.

We also have a couple large dogs. I know for sure that in the winter (no garden then) we're spending more on one rabbit than on 2 dogs.

Well I guess it’s different for everyone! :)

Latest posts

Back