What type of litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smile414

Reaction score
Hi there!

I’ve heard that rabbits can’t use certain litter types. Which types can they use? And what is the cheapest?

Hi there!

I’ve heard that rabbits can’t use certain litter types. Which types can they use? And what is the cheapest?

Also, how much litter ( in lbs) does a rabbit usually go through in a month?

Hi there!

Pine wood pellet litter is suggested to many but I don't know how many pounds it will take for a month. You can also use paper pellets, don't use any wood shaving because it can affect the rabbits health... I don't know why but many suggested that you should not use it.

Any wood pellets (not shavings) will not only be best at odor absorption, but also are the least expensive. Purchased "litters" from pet stores are quite expensive.

Check here on my website for a list of types of dangerous litters:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
The rest of the site should also help answer alot of questions on things from housing, to choosing a rabbit, to setting up a cage, to litter types, floor types, bunny proofing, etc.

And since it seems like you are trying to figure out costs for everything, this page explains the normal costs of having a rabbit, and then follows that with ways to save on those costs.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

Any wood pellets (not shavings) will not only be best at odor absorption, but also are the least expensive. Purchased "litters" from pet stores are quite expensive.

Check here on my website for a list of types of dangerous litters:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
The rest of the site should also help answer alot of questions on things from housing, to choosing a rabbit, to setting up a cage, to litter types, floor types, bunny proofing, etc.

And since it seems like you are trying to figure out costs for everything, this page explains the normal costs of having a rabbit, and then follows that with ways to save on those costs.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

Thanks! I’ll go and read through it. However is this wood pellet litter ok? :
https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Yeste...words=Wood+litter&qid=1592186533&sr=8-11&th=1
Thanks!

Hi there!

My family and I are new rabbit owners ourselves and we read on a breeders website to use pine. We went with two of the big bags of Katee pine fluff it was on sale at Farm and Fleet for 2/$10. We’ve had our little guys for two weeks now and have only gone through 1/4 of one bag and we have two litter boxes we clean daily. For food we got the Katee Timothy hay and only one bag for like 4.99 we are about halfway through that plus we have a pen we let them out on cool days so they can eat fresh grass. Plus we’ve been giving them our spare greens before they go bad (spinach, romaine) I read on a forum that bunnies are cheaper to maintain than cats and dogs and so far I believe it.

My family and I are new rabbit owners ourselves and we read on a breeders website to use pine. We went with two of the big bags of Katee pine fluff it was on sale at Farm and Fleet for 2/$10. We’ve had our little guys for two weeks now and have only gone through 1/4 of one bag and we have two litter boxes we clean daily. For food we got the Katee Timothy hay and only one bag for like 4.99 we are about halfway through that plus we have a pen we let them out on cool days so they can eat fresh grass. Plus we’ve been giving them our spare greens before they go bad (spinach, romaine) I read on a forum that bunnies are cheaper to maintain than cats and dogs and so far I believe it.

Thanks, that gave me an idea of how much litter a rabbit goes through. However, how many pounds are in each bag? It might give me a better idea, Thanks!

I get this bag of pine pellets for $6 at Tractor Supply. It lasts me about a year and I change his large litter box once a week.

My family and I are new rabbit owners ourselves and we read on a breeders website to use pine. We went with two of the big bags of Katee pine fluff it was on sale at Farm and Fleet for 2/$10.

Just remember that pine shavings ("fluff") must be kiln-dried or they can emit harmful phenols. Check the bag to see if it states it is "kiln-dried."

I find shavings (aside from not great at absorbing odor) to be a mess. They get stuck in fur and get tracked everywhere. It's the same reason I don't like Carefresh-type products either. The pelleted litter I've found to be much neater (and cheaper).

Rabbits can be very expensive to maintain properly. One, however, can save on those costs by buying litter and hay in bulk and growing a garden.

Here's according to the ASPCA:
View attachment 48701

Whoops, I did some research, it matters on the breed. Some cats cost thousands while some rabbits may be less. I got very scared for a second there, lol I shouldn’t have automatically thought every rabbit would be that much.

The chart is talking about MAINTENANCE costs, not the cost of the animal itself. It shows monthly costs to feed and maintain.

Every rabbit will be basically the same. Only the giant breeds may be more.
But every rabbit gets the same diet. The difference in pellet amount or hay amount is too small to consider.

For example, an adult rabbit under 7 lbs will get roughly 1/4 cup of pellets (or less) per day. The smallest rabbits do not get less because they have higher energy levels and typically also need the 1/4 cup.

[The big rabbits 8 lbs and up get 1/2 cup per day. And the rarer giant rabbits (over 11 lbs) get 3/4 cup.]

The chart is talking about MAINTENANCE costs, not the cost of the animal itself. It shows monthly costs to feed and maintain.

Every rabbit will be basically the same. Only the giant breeds may be more.
But every rabbit gets the same diet. The difference in pellet amount or hay amount is too small to consider.

For example, an adult rabbit under 7 lbs will get roughly 1/4 cup of pellets (or less) per day. The smallest rabbits do not get less because they have higher energy levels and typically also need the 1/4 cup.

[The big rabbits 8 lbs and up get 1/2 cup per day. And the rarer giant rabbits (over 11 lbs) get 3/4 cup.]

I know it doesn’t count rabbit cost, rabbits are around $20-$40 from stores, maybe around a hundred from breeders, and are usually less from rescues and shelters.
Rabbits don’t need that much unless they also count bedding, I mean it’s different for everyone but it’s around $8 per month for hay and $4-7 for pellets per month, $5 for hay, and $2 or less for litter ( if you get from tractor supply) per month. So that’s like $19 a month which is like $200 a year... but again this is just an estimate not counting vet and other costs but that’s far from $700 I think.

I know it doesn’t count rabbit cost, rabbits are around $20-$40 from stores, maybe around a hundred from breeders, and are usually less from rescues and shelters.
Rabbits don’t need that much unless they also count bedding, I mean it’s different for everyone but it’s around $8 per month for hay and $4-7 for pellets per month, $5 for hay, and $2 or less for litter ( if you get from tractor supply) per month. So that’s like $19 a month which is like $200 a year... but again this is just an estimate not counting vet and other costs but that’s far from $700 I think.

This is if you do bulk. I don’t know how much it would cost if you didn’t however it would be much more but I’m not sure if it would be $700

Apparently you haven't read the link on "costs" that I provided earlier. ;)

And here is another source for costs of maintaining a rabbit:
https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/costs-of-a-bunny/
Unless people are indeed buying in bulk and planting gardens (for those greens get expensive too!) then it easily will be $700-$900 per year.

Last edited:
Apparently you haven't read the link on "costs" that I provided earlier. ;)

And here is another source for costs of maintaining a rabbit:
https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/costs-of-a-bunny/
Unless people are indeed buying in bulk and planting gardens (for those greens get expensive too!) then it easily will be $700-$900 per year.

Hmm Idk from the link you sent some of the information is off. Freeroam rabbits don’t need cages and playpens are usually between $30-$50 and other stuff can be less too, I guess if you are buying the most expensive stuff then sure it can be $700 it can be thousands too if you want a rabbit living the luxury life. But from where I get my stuff playpen are around $30, food bowls are $5 or less, and fleece bedding is around $5 per yard. However it is different for everyone.
http://www.saveabunny.org/rabbitcare/basicsif you scroll to the bottom it says “ongoing expenses is $20+ a month” so it usually is around there so a year a rabbit would be $240 plus vet care would be $300 - $40” ish . Not an exact just a guess and estimate there are other factors but that’s just the basics. But it can vary I guess some people may be spending thousands while others are spending less like with any other animal.

Latest posts

Back