What type of litter does everyone use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use paper shreddings. Some of the paper has ink, but my bunny only eats the hay (and cecotropes;)) in his litter box and not the paper shreddings. My bunny poops that I have to change it every other day, so I can't afford to pay for litter. I use free newspaper at my local store for lining and paper shreddings for the litter.

I use paper shreddings. Some of the paper has ink, but my bunny only eats the hay (and cecotropes;)) in his litter box and not the paper shreddings. My bunny poops that I have to change it every other day, so I can't afford to pay for litter. I use free newspaper at my local store for lining and paper shreddings for the litter.
What type of litter do you use?

I use recycled paper pellets, it cost a bit more but if I had stable pellets nearby I would buy that instead.

For the not litter trained bunny I use wood shavings in the whole cage which is safe and she have a straw space just for herself to play with and bed. I’m glad she’s not using the straw or blanket area as a litter :)

Does anyone know if straw is safe?
Straw is safe but will do zero for odor control or absorbency.

Wood pellets (different than shavings) are extremely cheap and super odor absorbing. I have tried many litter types over the years (since the 80's) and put wood pellets as the best. [Paper pellets are a 2nd place.]

You can get a 40lb bag of wood pellets at the hardware store for about $6. It will last me about 2 months (for 2 rabbits). They can also be found at feed stores as horse pellets.

Straw is safe but will do zero for odor control or absorbency.

Wood pellets (different than shavings) are extremely cheap and super odor absorbing. I have tried many litter types over the years (since the 80's) and put wood pellets as the best. [Paper pellets are a 2nd place.]

You can get a 40lb bag of wood pellets at the hardware store for about $6. It will last me about 2 months (for 2 rabbits). They can also be found at feed stores as horse pellets.
Thanks! I will get some wood or horse pellets this week..that's really cheap

40 lb. of Marth Wood Pellets. Obtained at Menard's store for $3.99 - 4.99 ea/bag. With the stores 11% rebate offers, slightly less. We buy about 10 bags at a time and pile them in our garage.
We have special needs' and sanctuary buns. And often fosters.

Yesterday's News recycleable cat litter used to be about $13 ea/ bag but the price has gone up to $20 ea/bag. The YN pellets are much softer on feet. We'll layer a thin amount of YN on top for our elder crew. And use the coupon/s that a pet supply store will offer periodically to lower the cost of YN paper-based cat litter.

Do Not, do NOT, get anything with baking-soda odor control. Can have fatal consequences!

Latest posts

Back