What to use on the bottom of a rabbit run

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraeli

Reaction score
Hi! I haven't posted in a while. Mr Bunny and Tulip are getting an outside pen which they will have access to through a cat door in the window. The pen will be 4x8 with a solid roof and plywood on 3 sides. The front will be welded wire. I cant decide what would be the best option to put on the floor since grass would be dug up/eaten which would essentially work out to being a dirt pen. I'm not sold on concrete. Thoughts?

PS this is Tulip and this is their current indoor pen

Attachments

• 20200305_125318.jpg
    20200305_125318.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200305_124810.jpg
    20200305_124810.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 14
Pavers or concrete can be a decent option. Rabbits tend to actually like the coolness of them. Padded mats can always be added in areas as well. The added bonus is that concrete or pavers can help file down their nails. ;)

Pavers could be an option. I wonder if just sweeping it out periodically would be enough to keep it clean then or if it would stink after a while? They are litterbox trained in the house but I dont know what they will do when they are outside.

I'm also going to build them a big dig box outside. Not worried about keeping that clean though, its dirt 🤷‍♀️

They would probably drop the stray poos about (especially in the beginning) but they will likely still use a litter box for urinating. Whether or not you'll need a separate litter box for out there will remain to be seen. If it is easy enough for them to hop back indoors to get to their litter box, they may decide to do that.

How about concrete with stable matting on top? Doesn't have to cover the whole area. Lucky bunnies to get some outside space. Could you put the welded mesh on 2 or 3 sides? More natural sunlight that way.

I would use concrete or pavers. Theo has a concrete floor in the summer and he loves it because it keeps him cool. In the wintertime, I add puzzle mats because he is prone to sore hocks, and it keeps his feet warm.

How about concrete with stable matting on top? Doesn't have to cover the whole area. Lucky bunnies to get some outside space. Could you put the welded mesh on 2 or 3 sides? More natural sunlight that way.

I have a few different designs I've tossed around. The plywood is to be cautious and for peace of mind on my part. Also to help them feel safe.

I will be attaching an enclosed run to the pen with daytime access, so they will be enjoying a lot of pluses of the outdoors safely and if they get hot or cold they can come inside. Spoiled? 🤔 I just cant get over how cute they are. It drowns out the sound of my wallet whimpering

I have a few different designs I've tossed around. The plywood is to be cautious and for peace of mind on my part. Also to help them feel safe.

I will be attaching an enclosed run to the pen with daytime access, so they will be enjoying a lot of pluses of the outdoors safely and if they get hot or cold they can come inside. Spoiled? 🤔 I just cant get over how cute they are. It drowns out the sound of my wallet whimpering
Whimpering wallet? So random yet funny! You just made my day!
Edit:forgot to share my thoughts on the walling part. Two walls of tight mesh(double-layered if you're insecure) would add up greatly to ventilation and natural sunshine, boosting natural habitat structures and reducing fly-strike risks.

Surely if your wallet already whines it doesn't mind going the extra step for the better of the bunnies, right?

Mine sure as hell doesn't, as i'm determined to get Storm more toys, some patch of softer flooring and of course, a bondmate! Dad made me a promise that Storm would have a buddy soon and i'm more than hell-bent on that promise being kept. Even if it costs me double when it's vet time.

Last edited:
Plywood is more expensive than welded wire so it's not a money issue. Actually by the time I'm done with their outdoor area I will have spent somewhere close to 500 dollars.

Right now I'm thinking I will build it with 2 stories, one of which will be 4 feet off the ground. That level will be mostly wire. The height should add some security from foxes or coons, which I have seen wandering through town here. They have never tried to get after our chickens but I'm just being extra cautious.

The window that goes to their room is six feet off the ground (ugh) so I will be running a tunnel out that window to the second story of the pen.

The pen will be on the southwest corner of the house so less sunlight is probably better. Theres no trees back there. I will be hanging a shade cloth over the daytime run although not too shady because I plan on keeping it grass

I really think you would do well asking for advice in this brilliant housing group: Rabbit Housing & Runs Your plans sound great but if you are going to spend a lot of money you want to get it right first time. The welded mesh has to be 16g or 12g or it won't be fox proof. I doubt that's cheaper than plywood.

A 4x8 sheet of half inch plywood right now is $29.57. That's $.92 per square foot. A roll of 16 gauge cage wire by contrast is $.88 a square foot or less, depending on the size of the mesh. 🤷‍♀️

That $.88/sf is for 1/2 by 1 inch mesh btw, smaller mesh than that and the gauge of the wire goes down past what's safe.

Thank you for the group! I requested a join 😊

Latest posts

Back