What to use as flooring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayna345

Reaction score
I was using puppy Wee Wee pads for Bam-Bam's flooring in his cage because they were working just fine he doesn't make a mess or chew them and made it so if he peed or spilled water it would mostly dry, but I also was using four every time I cleaned his cage! And I clean it twice a day or sometimes even more because he's in a cage that is rather small until I get his new one (but he has constant free-roam of 2 rooms everyday) and he likes to throw his hay in his pee and I don't want him eating wet hay or walking around on poo and pee, but the constant cleaning has left me Wee Wee padless and it's too late to get anymore today and I won't be able to get anymore till Sunday, so what could I use as flooring next time I need to clean his cage? Which will either be tonight or the morning, I know Newspaper is bad, I'm not sure what to use!

Also, I just picked up a big bag of Alfalfa mix pellets today (and didn't pick up Wee Wee pads of course :grumpy:) I got Alfalfa to help him gain some weight as Karen suggested :thanks: so he's currently eating Timothy Hay, the Alfalfa mix pellets and a limited but variety of greens and veggies, anything else I should know about? Some kind of wheat Grass? Just want to make sure he has a good healthy diet

Thanks for any help and advice :)

Newspaper was bad in the past, when they used petroleum in the ink, but now it's soy-based & ok.

How do you give him his hay? Maybe there's a way he's less likely to toss it around.

LakeCondo wrote:
Newspaper was bad in the past, when they used petroleum in the ink, but now it's soy-based & ok.

How do you give him his hay? Maybe there's a way he's less likely to toss it around.
Really? Thanks! I didn't know that, I guess I could use that for now then

I give him his hay in a little cardboard box that's just his size perfectly, so he kinda tilts it's over and spills all the hay out, I'm not sure what else I could use, maybe one of those hay holders?

Hay holders are very nice, you can even make your own hay holders, I made some from plastic water bottles, Icut about 4 square holes around teh bottle, then cut the bottem out. Leave the cap on, and stuff it full of hay, they have to work at it to get the hay out and keeps it from getting all over the cage. The same idea can be turned into alot of home made hay holders. :D

As stated, hay racks are nice and really easy to make. There's a thread with many different home made hay racks that people have shared here.

As stated too, newspaper is no longer a bad thing. The ink has been changed to make it more environmentally friendly.

I don't use wee pads, but a litter box. My Tribe love to have their hay in their litter box. I know you don't like when Bam- Bam pees on his hay, but my tribe have all picked certain corners in their litter box and I make sure just the Eco bedding is there. I don't have any problem with them eating wet hay.

The reason I did it this way, is that it was easier for me to teach them that pee (I don't mind cleaning up poo) should go in one place. Bunnies do poo and pee as they eat. Mine love to hang out in the litter box. All my tribe love their hay.

And with Bam-Bam's new room, you will be able to put a litter box in their comfortably.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps!

K:)

Latest posts

Back