What to put under an x-pen?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdrabbitlvr

Reaction score
I'm moving my rabbits to an x-pen, and I'm wondering what I should put under the x-pen. They're litter trained, but I still want to protect the floors. So what do bunny owners suggest for under an x-pen? Cheap and works well, please? Thanks in advance. :blushan:

Lowe's or Menards sell pre-cut vinyl for $20 or Coroplast. You can get that at a sign place. I just got a 4 x 8 sheet for $12.50.

:) April

I use a giant industrial rug runner. The thick plastic sheets with spikes on the bottom that people put underneath office chairs so they'll roll around.

Well if you don't worry about pretty, I actually suggest a sheet of plywood, or cardboard((which would need replacing every so often when they rip through it, also a plus to entertain the buns XD)). Vinyl or any smooth floors will give no traction to buns and they will slid around and possibly flip over((believe me, my buns done it on my wood floors from trying to run, it's not pretty or fun for either of you)). And carpet they would/could eat, as well as plastic; neither of which are very good.

Plywood would give him traction as well as protecting the floor. It would be kind of ugly, though.

SweetSassy wrote:
Lowe's or Menards sell pre-cut vinyl for $20 or Coroplast. You can get that at a sign place. I just got a 4 x 8 sheet for $12.50.

Wow! I was calling around today, and it looks like each sheet of Coroplast will run me $30. :shock:

Coroplast can be expensive, it really depends on your area. Dunkin isn't in a x-pen, but I needed something protective for his NIC cage bottom since my room is carpeted. I use interlocking foam mats. They appear to be water proof, Dunkin's water bottle sometimes leaks and the mats don't absorb it. You have to be sure your bun isn't a compulsive chewer though. Dunkin is a rug digger but he leaves his mats alone.

DSCF0005-2.jpg

BethM wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:

Wow! I was calling around today, and it looks like each sheet of Coroplast will run me $30. :shock:
Holy Crap! I got a good deal then. LOl.

Another idea is to put down a tarp or big plastic tablecloth over your carpet, then something else on top of that.
Since Hazel is not a chewer, but she does have "accidents" sometimes, we use a tarp covered with a piece of carpet when we take her on visits.

I use a vinyl tablecloth (the kind you put under nice tableclothes to protect the table) under my bun's xpen. It's waterproof and easy to shake out or move (if I need to take him somewhere). He's not a big chewer so I haven't had a problem with it, but I'm sure many buns could destroy it if they wanted. I got mine for about $15.

Latest posts

Back