What to put in manure collection trays.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am an absolute new rabbit owner. We just got given 6 Rex silver mixed rabbits. 4 does 2males .I have built them cages and we have bins under to catch waste .the cages are in the garage .North side with plenty of cross ventilation and even a ceiling fan for the summer. We clean the bins daily .I was wondering what would be the best material to put in the bins to soak up the urine? We are composting the waste .We are thinking saw dust like they use for horses or even peat moss . If saw dust is a good absorbing material the question is hardwood or softwood? Thank you for your adive and patience from a new rabbit owner.

I use pine pellets in my trays. They're sold either as stall bedding or for wood stoves and are a pretty good price. Once they're wet and used they turn into a saw dust like consistency, but they're more absorbent (as they're compacted) and easier to handle than saw dust (also, dry sawdust might not be good for rabbits; they have sensitive respiratory systems and are closer to the trays than other livestock). Any type of wood works except cedar (as cedar contains oils that are toxic to rabbits). Pine works better if its heat treated, as it too has some oils.

Latest posts

Back