What to line litter box with

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
For a while I was buying a ton of stuff online and I'd reuse all the shipping paper they use to pad the items as litter box lining for Kirby. My supply is almost all gone. What should I look to as liner now? Does your average newspaper work? Is it safe for rabbits? My Kirby is a chewer. He will chew and swallow anything that he can get his teeth on. I'm not sure that newspaper is ideal since it has ink.

Any suggestions?

The plain black and white newspaper should be fine. Newspapers are made with a soy based ink, has to be safe for kids to handle and possibly eat as well.

I know many member use newspapers for buns as well as phone books with no problems.

If he's not having problems with the packing paper, then he should be fine with the newspaper.

--Dawn

As far as I know all newspapers are printed with a non toxic soy ink and are perfectly safe.

Mine don't eat the newspaper, but they do love to destroy it!

We use newspaper on the bottom of their hutch aswell as in the littler box, also put a little hay in the litter box aswell... was just to get them used to using it but have continued to put it in there!

I use newspaper in the bottom of the litter box. I also put some paper towel under the newspaper to prevent the ink form getting onto the plastic (for some reason it bugs me to have the transfer on the litter box). I then put the litter in and put a screen on top of it all.

I put newspaper on the bottom and wood stove pellets on top. It's great for cleaning up (no messy wet sawdust stuck to the plastic) but sometimes does leave ink on the pan. It's nontoxic but ugly in lighter-colored pans.

Newspaper is safe, but from my experience, it can get rather smelly. I have a paper shredder and would shred it before putting it in the litter pan. The bun liked it better that way... She was weird. :)

Latest posts

Back