What to do with unused meds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaDee

Reaction score
I haven't been able to bring myself totake careof Jacub's remaining meds until now. They've just been sitting on the counter where I had them. I threw out the used needles without even thinking that they shouldn't have gone in the garbage. Now I'm wondering about the unused meds... how does one safely dispose of them?

Hi Sandra....If you want to keep them check the expiration dates on them and you might need it for a rainy day. I had so many meds for Flash when I went thru the 'med drawer' it broke my heart how many and how long he was on something. I threw out the old stuff and kept some incase Soph has an epsiode. Those meds were so expensive, but would understand if you just want to get rid of all the reminders of your special boy.

I keep some of mine until it expires. Stuff I think I may use again. Saves money if you would need it again and can come in handy if your bun gets sick late at night or on a weekend. I guess it all depends on what you have though.

I would also keep it until it expires. The only things you have to worry about putting in the municipal garbage are sharps, or extremely large quantities of a drug. Sharp used needles can harm people who handle the garbage, so put them in a hard-sided box or bottle (like a 2L soda bottle) before throwing them out (in the future). Unused needles, as long as they're still in sterile packaging, should be fine, and most medicines will keep for at least 6 months after they're made. Some medicines can leach into the groundwater from a landfill, but that takes large quantities of them, and most landfills are designed to stop that from happening. The very best place to dispose of medicine is the pharmacy. Flushing it, which I know a lot of people do, is not the best way to go, and in fact I would throw it out in the municipal garbage before I flushed it--it goes more quickly to the water supply when you flush it.

When on of my babies died, I took the leftover meds and the used/unused syringes back to the vets and they disposed of them. Since their was quite a bit of medication leftover I asked the vet to donate it, if another rabbit/cat came into the office, should they not be able to afford meds. I got a letter a few months later from a lady who had a kitten who was not well and she could barely afford medication.

Latest posts

Back