What to do when rabbits lose an owner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandyK

Reaction score
Without getting into the details of my situation, my rabbits will no longer be able to see my fiance. Half of the rabbits in my home originally lived with him before we moved in together (they were essentially "his" rabbits), and I know they love him very much.

He has been away at training for 7 months and he's not coming back. They haven't seen him at all in this time, and my heart breaks for them. I know how much they love him and how happy they would have been to see him again.

Is there anything I can do? Everyone tells me that they will be fine and they will forget about him - but it hurts me to know how much they loved him and that they'll never get to see him again. I've seen how differently they acted around him compared to how they act around me (they were MUCH happier with him around), and it really sucks to know they won't be that happy ever again.

I know it's hard to offer advice on this, but I'd appreciate anyone who can maybe relate or give some suggestions. Thanks.

It sounds like a really tough situation for all involved. I am sure the bunnies loved him but I am sure that they also love you very much. Bunnies cope very well when they are re-homed for whatever reason and as long as you show them love and patience they will soon come around.

If they are loved and fed well they will be as happy as they can be. If you are going to look after them permanently, there is a bonding section on the forums here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33921&forum_id=48

The info there will help you bond with them and they will soon forget the way things used to be and get on with their furry little lives.

I haven't read it in a while so I am not sure what it says so hopefully it is helpful, if not let us know :)

Bonding with your bunnies can also help you through a tough time as well. If the bunnies are bonded together they will cope a lot better also :)

I think the bunnies and yourself can cope with the loss by diving into being companions. They'll sense the sorrow on your end and as anthropomorphic as it sounds, perhaps they'll share in the sadness with you.

Take the relationship you have with them to the next level and like Kirrie said, check out the bonding posts; they helped me with Gubble tenfold.

I'm sorry you're in the situation, but I'm glad you have the wee buns to help you through, and that they have you also.

:hug2:

Samara wrote:
I think the bunnies and yourself can cope with the loss by diving into being companions. They'll sense the sorrow on your end and as anthropomorphic as it sounds, perhaps they'll share in the sadness with you.

Take the relationship you have with them to the next level and like Kirrie said, check out the bonding posts; they helped me with Gubble tenfold.

I'm sorry you're in the situation, but I'm glad you have the wee buns to help you through, and that they have you also.

:hug2:
Ditto. Stay strong.

K:)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I re-read my original post and it sounds more morbid than it should. My fiance didn't die - we have just parted ways (to put it nicely).

I guess part of the reason I feel so bad for the rabbits is because he abandoned them with me. He left and said he didn't care what happened to them. That's the part that breaks my heart the most. They love him unconditionally and have been waiting for him to return, and he dumped them like they are garbage. :( It's just a crummy situation for them.

I'm sorry, it sounds really rough. Rabbits are really good at picking up their people's feelings and mirroring them. Perhaps they don't miss him so much as they know you are hurting? Give them lots of love and I'm sure as you get over him being a poo head they will feel better too :hug:

MiniLopHop wrote:
I'm sorry, it sounds really rough. Rabbits are really good at picking up their people's feelings and mirroring them. Perhaps they don't miss him so much as they know you are hurting? Give them lots of love and I'm sure as you get over him being a poo head they will feel better too :hug:

^ that. My ex boyfriend dumped his rabbits with me . They were really grumpy at first and they didn't like me . I couldn't even touch them without getting bitten but I had to clean them. Just talk to them gently and make baby sounds (lol, I know. But it worked for me.) Soon, they'll realize youre the one who's gonna take care of them now and they'll have to accept it sooner or later. It took me 2 months (maybe it'll be easier for you, because I've never spent time with his rabbits prior to that incident.) but they got used to me, and a month after that to come close and sit next to me. All the best with your bunnies =) their love , when shown, is unconditional .

My rabbit actually had two different homes, that I know of, before he came to live with me. He settled in pretty well and quickly made friends with the cats.

Anyway I wish the best for you and the poor bunnies.

Bunnies will accept anyone who is a caregiver and watch out for their best interest. It just takes time for you to establish this bond.

Time and patience. Believe me, they are well worth the effort.

Fiance didn't know what he had (bunnies and you). His loss.

Keep your chin up and love those bunnies. All of you will be better off in the long run.

K:)

I think this is all for the best, you have now gained some very lovely companions and they deserve an awesome and caring owner like you. I am happy that they have a lovely home and a good person to take care of them.

Like everything it just takes time and it will all get easier as time goes on. Pets are a great thing to have a round in bad times, we don't realise it until later but they help us through, sometimes even more so than our friends or family. My pets have helped me through some rough times, they are like an anchor keeping your head in the right place and gives you something to focus on and to divert your energy into.

Talk to them a lot and let them come to you and just hang around them without trying to pick them up or make them cuddle you, take it at their pace and gradually do more like patting and cheek rubs. Eventually they will learn that this is their new home and you are their new bunny slave. They will have you eating out of their hands in no time :p

Hi when my ex and I split up, I was worried too. We were in the house for period of time together then he moved out. He would periodically come back (he was still paying half the bills). Once the house was sold and I had to move, I got an apartment (yuck lol).

As we had 6 Bunnies he was suppose to take 3 and I keep 3. Well he found a bunny waundering in a mall parking lot, he caught him and brought him home. For quite a few months I was taking care of Fluffy too until I put my foot down. He took himto where he was living.

In the end I took 4 and he took 2 (in his eyeshe took 3)DAH! Fluffy was never mine. But to be honest Buttercup was better off with me as I gave him much more attention and he had free roam of the living room area when I was home. I'm sure he missed the Ex as they truely did love each other. I feel his last 9 months were happy with me.

However I do worry about Wilbur (Jackie passed away they were bonded) as he had much more freedom (Bedroom to themselves). He is now in a small cage living in the basement where the ex lives. But I can't do anything about the situation, just love and care for the 3 I have now.

I'm sure they missed him some at the beginning but they are over him now. They have Mommie to Love, Spoil and Care for them.

Keep your Chin Up.

Hugs

Susan

Latest posts

Back