What to do in winter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunadri

Reaction score
It’s getting cold where I live and although i’ve been opening a warmer and giving blankets/warm houses/beds for my bunny, is there anything else I could do? Should i change the water he drinks into warm water? he drinks room temperature water now, a bit on the colder side. Please share your tips for keeping ur bunny warm :) Thank you all!

If you are really worried about him staying warm, you could bring him inside. Or you could just bring him inside when it is really cold outdoors.
It looks like you are doing a pretty good job keeping him warm! Another thing you could do is warm up a water bottle (like a bunny bottle, not one of those plastic water bottles), wrap it in a towel and then put it in your bunny’s enclosure so they can sit or lay down next to it, though obviously the water will chill out so maybe don’t keep it in there all of the time :)
I hope this helps and good luck with your bunny!

I myself would be freezing if my home were 15 C indoors!! It should be just fine for a rabbit though. They can handle the cold.

Are you sure that your home is that cold? Most people tend to keep their heat roughly at 20C in winter.

Straw for rabbits is warmer than blankets. Rabbits still need hay to eat, but straw makes good bedding. Rabbits can take cold better than heat. If your rabbit's water freezes, then you will need to provide water several times a day. Rabbits need proper shelter. They need to be sheltered from the wind and they need to be kept dry. I live in a place where it can get down to -28 C in the winter, and years ago when I had rabbits outside, they were fine in the cold. It is more dangerous outside in the spring, when snow melts and they can get wet.

I myself would be freezing if my home were 15 C indoors!! It should be just fine for a rabbit though. They can handle the cold.

Are you sure that your home is that cold? Most people tend to keep their heat roughly at 20C in winter.
It’s probably not that cold. i’m not sure about the temperature.

That's about the temperature I have inside my house, 12-16°C, and my indoor rabbits still seek out cooler spots. For rabbits, around 10-15°C is when they are most comfortable.

I have electric heating for the water crocks of my outdoor rabbits, just to keep it from freezing, I might cover some of the wire parts of their hutches if it get's well below -10°, which still isn't very cold for rabbits.

Latest posts

Back