What to do? (digging in cage)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxxy

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here so please bare with me.
I have a 2 rabbits. Solider,4 RexF, and Skooma,2 mini satinF, they are not bonded and both are fixed. I’m here to talk about Solider. We resently moved and because of this we had to get her a new cage because hers broke in the move. Well her new one comes with ledge that she can go on top of and under. She loves it and we are happy! But she’s started to dig and aggressively redecorate at different times in the day. I looked into a phantom pregnancy but it’s been a lot longer then when this all started. She should have calmed down by now. She’s normally a very lazy bunny so her doing this worries me.

That's just normal things rabbits do at times. I hear quite some redecorating throughout the night. A phantom pregnancy is when they start nestbuilding and sometimes even pluck fur - never seen this from one of my spayed does, only from the intact ones.

To occupy them and give them something to do I give them tree branches to gnaw on.

Moving or any changes to a rabbits set up or environment, could spark off 'bunstruction' or refurbishing behavior like this. It could either be from her wanting to arrange things to her liking, or it could be she's upset about being moved to somewhere unfamiliar and this is in protest. Giving her other things to occupy and distract, like rabbit safe branches to chew on like Preitler mentioned, or maybe a cardboard box to shred up(making sure it's just shreding and not ingesting going on), can sometimes help.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games

Thank you, she does have things to chew on, sticks specifically, but I guess it’s just her. She’s always been prissy and I guess since she can’t chew on this cage she throws a fit. I just wanted to make sure she’s wasn’t in duress cuz this happens every night.

None of my rabbits would touch dry sticks, they are addicted to the fresh stuff.

Well it's a good thing that she can't chew on this cage since chewing on bars can misalign their teeth! Is there loose bedding over the whole cage floor? Is that what she's digging? If so, you may want to glance through the following thread that shows cages of other members and get alternate ideas of what they have on the floor of their setups.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2022-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.103444/

Yes it is loose at the moment. Me and my boyfriend are still kinda learning about what to do with bedding and what not. We use to put it under the cage bars so it would stay in place but this one was too big. We got more to redue it, and give her more since it’s big cage but our ac doesn’t work very well in our room and I don’t want to over heat her. Though she’s always pulled at the fleece when it’s tucked in no matter what and eats it. She’s not eating it now. She’s fine I’ve talked to the vet about it and they said as long as she’s pooping we are fine.

she’s a very strange rabbit… and I don’t know what to do half the time.

Latest posts

Back