What to do about an awful breeder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefeathers

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I had a very bad experience with a breeder in Massachusetts who keeps her rabbits in a smelly basement (hard to breath down there). My rabbits she gave me were dehydrated and skinny bunny and hasn't cleaned the cages in what seems like forever. She blamed the heat for the dehydration and i thought maybe 8 weeks was normal weaning age and that maybe they were skinny from that (could feel pelvic bones and spine). There were more rabbits than I can count and they all have urine stains on their feet. I rescued the two rabbits I had already bought (she gave me the wrong one for the second one) because I felt anymore time spent there and it'd be dead plus she had a no refund policy "in case they died before I picked them up i could pick put a new one". She said it as though t happened often? I have also had other problems with this breeder but I'm more concerned about her animals. My nose burned.

My friends and I are disgusted with her and the conditions. Is there anything I can do about this like have a wellness check done on her rabbits? I feel horrible for all of them. If I had any idea it would have looked like that I'd never have given her business but i couldn't just leave the poor things behind either.

Any pointing in the right direction would be great. :(

Also..im assuming I'd have to report this breeder to a separate place for having shady business practices..but I'd really like someone to check up on this person. I mean...the conditions these rabbits were kept in were awful. The cage sizes were fine but the pee, mounds of poop, nose burning smell and lack of air flow and water in the cages was awful along with all of the skinny babies. She doesn't handle them roughly but my god the conditions are puke worthy.

I'm actually moving but i got them in massachusetts where I used to live. She has WAY too many rabbits and doesn't seem to care. She couldn't even apologize for blatantly giving me the wrong bun so I didn't bother telling her that her basement hoarding situation is out of control. The second one that was picked up has bad urine stains long claws and a snuffly nose. They've gained weight under our care.

Bylaws...do you mean town laws? I felt bad for her at first she excused it the first time as cleaning day but the second time it was even WORSE. I'm upset I didn't say anything sooner but I was even kinda afraid to complain I just can't get it off my mind though and she is clearly o ly in it for the money.

Are weaning bunnies normally so thin at 8 weeks? Like paper thin skin and fur (no meat on their bones at all?). I didnt think so for any animal breeder ive been to but i dont want to exaggerate anything nor report anything that isnt a problem.im no expert. That's the age I picked them up at btw...8 weeks.

It's the smell and dirty cages, amount of cages crammed intl a small space and lack of air flow and water.

Last edited:
Will whoever I report to take her rabbits away? I know I'm a sucker but i feel she has way too many rabbits and can't give them up but I'm sure she'd do fine with substantially less so I'd feel bad if someone took them all from her simply because she has "issues". I find myself really distraught over this. If I don't say anything to anyone I feel nothing will change.

I would recommend reporting her. The local SPCA or humane society would be a good first step since they typically deal with cruelty and animal care. City or town bylaw tends to deal mostly with strays, noise complaints and numbers (if there is a law about numbers), most don't deal with rabbits.

The SPCA usually has to investigate any call they get. They may give her a chance to clean up and get her act together, but if she doesn't comply, the rabbits can be removed and then a hearing would take place to see what will happen to the rabbits and if she gets charged.

Not giving proper care is a big issue. It's not to hard to just feed the rabbits enough so they can maintain a healthy weight. Babies should not be skinny and dehydrated.

I would recommend reporting her. The local SPCA or humane society would be a good first step since they typically deal with cruelty and animal care. City or town bylaw tends to deal mostly with strays, noise complaints and numbers (if there is a law about numbers), most don't deal with rabbits.

The SPCA usually has to investigate any call they get. They may give her a chance to clean up and get her act together, but if she doesn't comply, the rabbits can be removed and then a hearing would take place to see what will happen to the rabbits and if she gets charged.

Not giving proper care is a big issue. It's not to hard to just feed the rabbits enough so they can maintain a healthy weight. Babies should not be skinny and dehydrated.

Thank you. I wasn't sure about the by laws. I will call them. Am I going to have to show up for any of this because I am moving out of state and can't be available all the time like that. I'll show up if they need me but as far as seeing my buns I can only produce pics and videos with recent date stamp :/ plus they have been with me a few weeks so they have gained weight on a proper die. I was battling if I should say anything at all this long if I don't say something nothing will change though I have a hard time sticking up for myself and what I believe in. Thanks all! Now I don't feel like it was "just me and my friend s" who thought something was wrong with her.

I am not sure if you actually have to be there for anything, but I doubt it. They may call you to confirm some details and may want some info about the rabbits you have from her. You can tell them you are moving, and provide contact info just in case.

I had the same problem with a rabbit I got in May of this year that died. Same conditions. I was so outraged because my baby was dehydrated and poorly kept. She was not given water or food for days. I called the Local Health Department / Humane Society and reported and they have taken it from there to temp suspend his license to sell and did a wellness check. All his rabbits has coccidia which is what killed my bunny. They forced him to get them treatment. Good luck and keep on the proper authorities. It's not right for these animals to suffer.

Vanessa

Some people are just pieces of **** and shouldn't have control over their own lives, much less the lives and welfare of other beings.

Just two of my cents that i felt like sharing...

Latest posts

Back