What to bathe rabbit in

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please, DO NOT give your rabbit a complete bath, or even a butt bathe unless your rabbit has a continuing diagnosed health problem that makes butt baths necessary. Rabbits have been known to die from shock and cardiac arrest from being given a bath. If your rabbit is getting a dirty bum and you don't have a diagnosis for the cause, you need to figure out what is causing the dirty bum and correct the issue if at all possible, including taking your rabbit to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet if needed. Healthy rabbits should never have a messy bottom.

Don’t give your bunny a full bath!!!!! If anything you can use puppy tushy wipes or detangling spray (don’t make them super wet tho, just like a mist)! I only had issues like this when my Bun was a baby. Adults generally keep themselves clean.

Apart from not giving a rabbit a bath, do not put any chemicals on a rabbit, no matter what it is advertised as. No wet wipes, no waterless soap, no deos or whatever - they don't need it and it can cause skin problems. No products for humans (many are not good for us too), and none advertised for pets. The only things that should go on a rabbit is stuff prescribed by a vet if there is a medical problem.

Their skin ia rather delicate, and normally they never get so wet that they are soaked to the skin, even when out in the rain. Soaps and and other chemicals destroy this protective effect of their fur.

If there is a real reason to clean something like a messy butt, just wet this area with lukewarm water, either by holding a soaked rag or sponge there, or using a very shallow bath.

As been said, rabbits are the most clean animals I know, they only need help cleaning themself if something is wrong. Then that issue needs to be addressed too.

I agree with the post above, and as they mention, if you are finding you need to bathe your rabbit because he/she smells, has a sticky bottom, or any other dirt/smell-related reason, it's important to think about your rabbit's health and environment because "fixing" something in either or both areas would eliminate the reason you may feel the need to bathe your rabbit, even though they shouldn't be bathed.

Since John Wick mentioned smell - some rabbits (I don't know if that applies to neutered rabbits or to femals) can need their scent glands cleaned, bathing wouldn't really help with that anyway, I guess. You'll find a lot when using "scent gland cleaning" as search term.

I never noticed a strong smell of that kind on any of my rabbits, so be aware that only those write about it who experienced it, by far not every rabbit needs that done.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/scent-glands-do-they-need-to-be-cleaned.56916/
https://rabbit.org/how-to-clean-a-rabbits-scent-glands/

Last edited:
Hi I only use a wet cloth with a few drops of Savlon antiseptic and the same is flushed with water thoroughly before using the cloth for wiping my 2 male rabbits. Immediately I use a dry cloth to dry them off followed by brushing. They lick my hands throughout the process. I make sure they are in a comfortable posture with their front pays on my hand and hind legs on table or my lap. Only issue is they have stains on underside of their front pays and hind legs. How do I clean that off? No full body bath for them. I clean the but every time with the same wet cloth. Rabbits are very clean by nature and they keep on licking them selves and each other all the time.

Hi, my rabbit was in her carrier for some time and seems to have peed whilst being inside and her bum area is wet, should I clean her to prevent potential fly strike?

I had a sick rabbit that I used to have to shampoo his bottom. I used "Squeaky Clean critter shampoo" that I bought from the pet store. It is for rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and rats and is tearless. I would have to use a blow drier on him to dry him off. Sometimes I took him to the vet and they cut the fur off of his private area, because it would get so urine soaked that it would burn his skin.

If the problem is something that your rabbit can't clean herself, then try to wash your rabbit according to the posts above. Only shampoo a rabbit if there are no other options.

Cleaning your rabbit to prevent fly strike is a good idea.

I personally dont think you need to use any shampoo on rabbits. I just used starch and acetic acid(Vinegar) mix to dab the hind legs underside, followed by wet cloth just to remove pee stains.

Latest posts

Back