What should I feed my elderly rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looie_pooie

Reaction score
I have an elderly rabbit and I was wondering what I should feed him. He currently gets a 1/4 cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and a cup of lettuce. He also gets baby carrots as an occasional treat, and I give him a bit of wheat grass daily as well.
What other vegetables should i give him daily?
should I change his diet?
How often should I feed him? (Lettuce at breakfast, lunch and dinner?)

I have an elderly rabbit and I was wondering what I should feed him. He currently gets a 1/4 cup of pellets, unlimited hay, and a cup of lettuce. He also gets baby carrots as an occasional treat, and I give him a bit of wheat grass daily as well.
NEVER feed iceberg lettuce!! They contain lactucarium which can be harmful in large quantities. Some lettuce is "worse" than others - light-colored varieties are high in water and have very little nutritional value, so are not recommended.

Low calories, high fiber, lots of greens, and unlimited hay. If your rabbit is thinner you can give more pellets. My oldest is 12 and he is always hungry but cant put any weight on. Thyroid is fine, he just cant put weight on. I also give him glucosamine and he is doing well

If you desire to introduce new types of greens, just remember to introduce just one type at a time and a small amount. You'll need to see how each green is tolerated.

There is a list of other greens you can try at the following link (my website). It also explains how to safely introduce new greens.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
However often you decide to give him his greens or pellets (once per day or broken up throughout the day) is just fine. It is recommended, however, to be consistent. So if you feed him greens twice per day, keep up that same schedule.

For the carrot treat, just be sure it is no more than one small carrot nib on a given day.

hi! If he is doing well whith the diet he is on i wouldnt change it. If he is looking a little thin i would say to add oats and alfalfa hay!

NEVER feed iceberg lettuce!! They contain lactucarium which can be harmful in large quantities. Some lettuce is "worse" than others - light-colored varieties are high in water and have very little nutritional value, so are not recommended.
He gets green, and red leaf lettuce from the farmers market❤️

Latest posts

Back