What should i do? Poos strung together.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlinT00

Reaction score
Hi guys, i just noticed Bella had a trail of poop dangling from her bum. The poop is soft and threaded together, trailing from her bumhole (so for the terminology, im a little frantic right now). She hasn't shown any signs of GI stasis, she is eating normal, her tummy is soft and she isn't showing any signs of discomfort. I tried to get some of the poop out/of the thread, since it is a bit soft and smushing on the carpet and under her feet but there is still some sitting in her bum. I dont know what to do and i cant find anything online about this. Im thinking of taking her to the vet tomorrow if its still there, but i was wondering if any of you know what i can do. Thanks.

Hey! Can you provide more information? When you say a string do you mean just poop clumped together or could your bunny have eaten something like string or hair? It could be cecotropes that have stuck to and object she ate.

if it looks like what @John Wick sent, that it could mean your bun needs a bit more hay and some brushing as she seems to be ingesting her fur while grooming :) String of poop is a good and bad thing, good 'cause she's pooping out her fur, bad 'cause she's ingesting her fur which could lead to blockage :(

if it looks like what @John Wick sent, that it could mean your bun needs a bit more hay and some brushing as she seems to be ingesting her fur while grooming :) String of poop is a good and bad thing, good 'cause she's pooping out her fur, bad 'cause she's ingesting her fur which could lead to blockage :(
Yeah, I'm a bit relieved that she is getting it out but i am super confused because she isn't even shedding very much at all. I even checked her companion to see if hes shedding but hes not. So I'm going to try to brush her later and him, and just keep pushing hay and water for now. Im just nervous it'll lead to a blockage.

Hey! Can you provide more information? When you say a string do you mean just poop clumped together or could your bunny have eaten something like string or hair? It could be cecotropes that have stuck to and object she ate.
Its more like string/fur. Im just a bit confused on where it came from because she and her bunfriend aren't going through a heavy shedding period right now and there is barely any fur really coming off of them. I dont think its her cecotropes though

I tried to take pictures but she's not letting me. Shes a bit upset already that i had been trying to take a look at it. :confused:

Update: After she spent a good 20-30mins in the litter box, i checked and saw a pile of really soft poop. And then i checked her bottom and she seems all cleaned out. Definitely feeling like a bit of a hypochondriac rabbit mom right now. Im just gonna keep monitoring her poop for now and making sure that it goes back to normal. 😅

It could still be fur, or it could be ingested cloth fibers, carpet fibers, string. As long as it's passing through and the poop is still a good size, it will usually be fine.

If it is just fur, this is a normal thing in rabbits. They shed, they groom, some fur is naturally ingested. It's when too much is ingested and not enough indigestible fiber from hay is being consumed, to help keep the digestion moving normally. Then gut motility slows down and it can become a potential problem.

So make sure she isn't ingesting foreign fibers(cloth, carpet, etc), good brushing during shedding, plenty of indigestible fiber from coarse grass hay stems(though still balanced with leafy hay for protein/nutrients and weight management), and good hydration.

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

I have rescue rabbits … this is not a cause for alarm. My rabbits are very healthy and one is almost 10 years old and it happens once in a while. Bunny love your way. It is fur mixed in…

Latest posts

Back