What Rabbit should I get?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I own a lionhead (and another rabbit and the breed is unknown to me. Lol) and I LOVE him so much! He is so cute, funny and playful! The only downside (but not a downside to me) is you have to brush them daily. And of course every rabbit’s personally is different. :)

You might find a bunny at a rescue that you will feel a conection with. Instead of choosing a breed.

Myself loves netherland dwarf bunnies and will always have one but down side they are so small. Myself would never get a long haired bunny, because I don’t want to brush my bunnies. But my bunny Toste (holland lop) missed the whole short-hair memo and need brushing every day or I just trim his tangled fur 🙄

Try to find a bunny that fit your personality and you will feel good about.

Do you want a bunny who is more active or cuddly? While it's very bunny dependent, I've found the bigger the bunny the calmer they tend to be. Most mini lop, holland lop, satin, or lionhead mixes I've met tend to be pretty awesome! Most importantly meet a few bunnies and see if any of them seem to fit with what you want in a new best friend!
Good Luck!

Oh my goodness thanks ya'll!! I have never met anyone so willing to tell me everything about rabbits! Mac189 I would like a cuddly bunnie. :) And I might get a lion head. You guys are the best! <3

I've gotten several rabbit from Brambley Hedge (and even represented them on Animal Planet)!!! I'd suggest you don't rush things. They've got sooooo many rabbits.

Forget anything about breed. All of their rabbits will be mixed breeds. They will label rabbits to be a certain breed but that is only a guess based on whatever breed a particular rabbit most closely resembles -- physical appearance. None will be purebred of any breed. That means that their personality isn't going to match any particular breed either. You just have to meet each one and get to know them that way.

As you help care for the rabbits, you will get to know them a bit better. You'll know which one you are drawn to and which ones seem to like you too.

Last I was there, they rotate the rabbits daily out of their cages and into playpens in Erika's backyard. That's a good time to check out the rabbits if you are volunteering there then.

Okay! :D Wow you work there? Have you meet a bunnie named pickles?
I don't work there but I have gotten several rabbits there, made a rabbit handbook that they have used for education, and brought some volunteers there years ago. Erika was the founder but I don't know if she 'retired' now or is still running things. It's been almost 8 years since I got my last rabbit from them (brown one in avatar) so don't know what's changed.

Pickles looks very much like the first rabbit that I got from them around 2003. (not my first rabbit)
1587674390523.png

I'm down to just one at the moment. Mocha lost his bondmate (in avatar) a few years back and he seems fine as a single bun. He actually came out of his shell after she passed. But he is getting older. He's at least 9 now but could be a bit older since they weren't sure of his age.

Have you been in contact with them about volunteering?
Not sure what they are doing now with the corona virus.

If you are able to volunteer anytime in the next month or two, that will give you the chance to meet some of their rabbits in person. They have bonded pairs you may like as well. In June, Jly, and Aug, the price of their bonded pairs is the same as the price for a single rabbit.

I have not yet, I have been trying to keep up with my school. Once the virus is gone I will be able to. Okay, thanks. Do Rabbits have to be in pairs? I will probably be with my rabbit all day since I do school from home.

Rabbits do not have to be in pairs -- if housed indoors. But if you think you will want a pair eventually, it is much, much easier to get an already bonded pair. Trying to bond a pair can sometimes be incredibly frustrating and time consuming and sometimes just doesn't work (the two refuse to get along).

Latest posts

Back