What quantity of pellets do you feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hello

I am interested to know how much pellets (if any), you feed your rabbits daily and do you give it in one sitting or more? Also would be helpful to know what size your bun is. I’m particularly interested in small-medium as that is what I have :)

Thank you in advance for any info?

The House Rabbit Society in the US recommends limited plain pellets along with unlimited hay and generous daily greens for adult (over 6 months of age) rabbits.

5-7 lb of body wt. 1/4 cup daily

8-10 lb body wt. 1/2 cup daily

11-15 lb of body wt. 3/4 cup daily

Rabbits less than 5 lbs may still need 1/4 cup if they are very active (as they tend to be).

Some people suggest far fewer pellets. So there isn't a consensus on it.

Some feed twice per day (splitting total in half for each feeding). I just feed right before bed since that is what I use to get them back in their cage for nighttime. They free -range during day.

Here's a link to the feeding recommendations with more detail (types of hay, introducing greens safely, pellet brand suggestions, etc)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

I give mine 1/4 cup each (which is around 20g of the pellets I use). My buns are 5-5.5 lbs. They either get it all in one sitting in the morning, or some days I hold a few back and give them later in the day as treats.

I feed only pellets. I give my rabbits their full serving of pellets in the evening.
For dwarf breeds (<3 lbs) I give 1/4 cup pellets. For small breeds (3-4.5 lbs) I give 1/3 cup. For medium breeds (4.5-6.5 lbs) I give 1/2 cup. For smaller commercial breeds (6.5-10 lbs) I give 1 cup. For anything larger I would usually free feed.

My Toste (1,85 kg/ 4 pounds) get 1 tbsp while Odin (730g/ 1.6 pounds) gets around 1 tsp. I will increase the pellets amount if they are outdoors and it’s heading towards winter. I just go after how their droppings look like and if they need a break to eat up all the pellets.

Odin will need a few breaks if he eats 1 tbsp pellets to eat it all, so it’s too much for him ☺

Both my rabbits are about 6lb. I have a Rex rabbit and crossbreed.
Apollo (my Rex) gets just under 1/4 cup daily - we used to feed it as a treat but then somewhere along the way decided to feed more. Athena (my new bunny) will be getting 1/2 cup of pellets daily, as she struggles to maintain a healthy weight.

Hello

I am interested to know how much pellets (if any), you feed your rabbits daily and do you give it in one sitting or more? Also would be helpful to know what size your bun is. I’m particularly interested in small-medium as that is what I have :)

Thank you in advance for any info?
My bunny is a half Holland lop half White Lion head and is around 10 weeks old. When I took her to the vet, the doctor told me only a 1/8 of a cup of pellets because 80% of their diet is hay and the rest should be greens(I give Skyy spinach). She said pellets are meant to be "treat food" so I give her hay in the morning, some spinach around noon or so, and then an 1/8 cup of pellets when I get off work around 230-3. I may give her more spinach later in the day if I'm training/ bonding with her. These are the pellets I use and the vet said it was a good brand until she gets bigger. I put a pic of my bunny Skyy so you could compare size

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200917-225146.jpg
    Screenshot_20200917-225146.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200917_204257_01.jpg
    IMG_20200917_204257_01.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
My lion head is 10 and has can only eat pellets softened in water due to no teeth. They are good quality ones Science select. He’s never wanted hay but it’s there always. He sees vet every few weeks for checking his spikes

Thanks everyone this was helpful. I’m considering cutting down the pellets I feed my buns, they are all less than 5.5lb and get 1/4 cup each (in theory if one doesn’t eat faster than their partner!) spilt in too two portions morning and evening but I’m not sure that they really need that much. Have had trouble with one of them getting gas and read that pellets don’t help gas prone bunnies.

Misssara and others if you give them food pellets whit wheat ! most rabbits will not put energie in eating gras and hay. wheat is a kind of addict-effect.
and very many docters adviced the food whit famous marks. they are somethimes sponsored and
or they know not better,because they get this in their education.

spinach :dont give them to much of this,because it contains much oxaalacid.

Thank you so much!! I had no idea spinach was something to limit because my bun absolutely loves it so again thank you so much ☺

If I recall, your rabbit is still young? 10-ish weeks? Any greens have the potential to cause stomach upset in rabbits that aren't used to them - especially younger buns. It's important to introduce slowly and only one type at a time.

As mentioned, spinach is high in oxalates so, while it can be fed occasionally, isn't good to feed on a daily basis in large amounts. Here's a list that shows which greens are fine for daily feeding and which should be limited. Feeding smaller amounts of greens is fine while she is (if she is) still this young. You can increase after 12+ weeks of age.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Latest posts

Back