What possible breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alysalouise

Reaction score
Just want to see if anyone might have some guesses on what kind of bunnies we have here, 4 little babies, maybe 4ish months old?

20150116_214943_resized.jpg

20150119_193409_resized.jpg

20150122_101304_resized.jpg

20150127_212713_resized.jpg

20150127_212729_resized.jpg

20150201_155734_resized.jpg

20150201_155738_resized.jpg

They're probably mixed breeds (rabbit equivalent of "mutt"), but cute for all that.

You might try looking at our Rabbits Online "What breed is my bunny?" rabbit identification key to see if your bunnies match any of the ARBA breeds. At four months they're still far from grown, so you'll have to guess at their adult size, but the key should still be helpful.

And welcome to RO!

I'd say mixes as well. Maybe as they get older they might give more hints as to what breed they might be but I don't see anythin.

Colors look like 2chestnut agoutis, a blue and a lynx

Yeah i know they are mixes, just was hoping someone might have a better idea of what
Mom was only 4ish lbs, and about twice as big as the babies are right now
I had all 5 of them, but mom got out a couple days after i got them from a lady who trapped them all cause they were living under her shed (mom and 3 other adults had been roaming loose since april, she only became really concerned when she noticed mom had kits trailing behind) And i have not seen her since :/
I've gone around my entire neighborhood, but we have lots of heavy blackberry filled areas, and behimd the house just behind us, is a huge piece of property that they cyotes hang out at. Its been over a week now, so not sure if she's found a shed to hide under or if something else has gotten her :/

They are, having troubles getting them used to being touched/held, but there is one or two that dont mind.... the brown ones that daughter always hold is the most mellow of them all, super carefree on how she holds him

Yeah i know they are mixes, just was hoping someone might have a better idea of what
Rabbits aren't really like dogs and a mix of 2 breeds may look like anything. It can be nearly impossible to guess. Not to mention adding in pet quality rabbits that do not look like the breed standard, or back yard breeders mixing 2 breeds then that gets labeled as a single breed. They look like standard domestic mixes.

The babies are getting bigger. Still have the size as the flemish Giant (silver colored bunny) baby that I believe is roughly the same age. We also aquired another rabbit, much older i think, from the same area as the 4 babies that was let loose around the same time. He is much friendlier and Binkies every time he sees me. Spins in circles around my hand so he get a full front to back rubbin, He is the black bunny

These are just a few pictures I've gotten a sneak peak of from the easter minis i had done of my daughter through my friend who is a photographer, and her sweet daughter

View attachment 1425600410508.jpg

View attachment 1425600540062.jpg

View attachment 1425600564425.jpg

View attachment 1425600571905.jpg

And All of my rabbits are boys with the exception of the dark gray bunny from the orginal 4

The first two are 2/3 of the sibling boys
The very last photo is their sister. All 6 bunnies have participated in easter photos for my photographer. I took the 3 boys and the big black bunny (also a boy) the first time around. And yesterday i took the little lady who the photographer may end up taking in a few weeks to keep, and the flemish giant boy. Everyone got well loved on and its definitely helped the 4 orginal bunnies warm up to us. The boys now greet me when i come outside. The little lady still isnt sure, she is still the hardest to get to come out her cage. Hard to give her grass time when i can't reach her in the far back corner of her hutch. So I've been putting the puppy yard around the front of her hutch and leaving the door open so she can come out on her own and enjoy grass for a few hours a day

View attachment 1427158007321.jpg

View attachment 1427158021447.jpg

View attachment 1427158037806.jpg

View attachment 1427158046484.jpg

So the gray male I kept, and the darker gray female I gave to my photographers daughter, started to get brown patches?!
Is this normal as they mature? (Needless to say, the boys have matured long before the color change)

View attachment 1436239265040.jpg

When you get non purebred rabbit, it's not unusual for them to have "variable" colours. My purebred blue otter rabbit is always blue otter with no changes, but the two "mutts" I've had have spots and things appearing and disappearing (especially when they moult, which would be right now). The male I had previously was always the prettiest of rabbits, even with spots, but Aki (though being a princess and the most wonderful rabbit in the world ^^) becomes rather ridiculous looking everytime she's moulting, with weird spots all over. She is dark grey, originally (black and REW mix, so she normally looks like a siamese sable). Sometimes, it takes months for her coat to come back to it's original colour... sometimes, I have to wait for the next moulting!
So, the patches may very well disappear or change from your rabbits!

that black bunny has something going on with his eye. Are you being mindful of it? Trying to to spread it to the others?

Black bunny is housed alone, nothing has been going on with his eye. Though I believe he is very old

Latest posts

Back