what pellets do you recommend?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0llyharris

Reaction score
hi, my mini lion lop has almost finished the bag of harringtons optimum pelletes and i was wondering what is the best and healthiest pellets to get her next? i didnt find that she got on with those very well so i am looking for something that is good for her. does anyone have any recommendations?

hmm not sure what brands are available in your country but hopefully this chart would help :) It has a list of well known pellet brands and its ingredients and nutritional value: https://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

This link is an infographic to help you look for the ideal pellets for bunnies: Pellet Analysis

Hope these help! Please do remember that they should only be given 1 tablespoon of pellets per day and please dont forget the unlimited amounts of hay =)

Don't wait until you run out of your current pellets before starting the new pellets. It is best to use what you have to gradually transition her to a different pellet brand.

Mix the new pellets with the old (one part new to 3 parts old) for several days, then mix equal part of each for a few days, then mix 3 parts new to 1 part old for a few days. By then she should be ready for just the new pellets.

What amount of pellets does she normally get per day? If it's around 1/4 cup, that is ok to continue.

hmm not sure what brands are available in your country but hopefully this chart would help :) It has a list of well known pellet brands and its ingredients and nutritional value: https://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

This link is an infographic to help you look for the ideal pellets for bunnies: Pellet Analysis

Hope these help! Please do remember that they should only be given 1 tablespoon of pellets per day and please dont forget the unlimited amounts of hay =)
The links are great, thanks for posting!

I thought I was doing a good thing by switching from Oxbow Garden Selects to Sherwood. But bot brands seem to be red is a few places! I don't think I can get the ones that are fully green. So how do I make up for the deficiencies? Do you have a link to the recommended nutrient profile for a rabbit? Sorry for asking all these questions. I guess if pellets are only 5% of the daily food intake, it doesn't matter because hay and veggies will make up for it?

I thought I was doing a good thing by switching from Oxbow Garden Selects to Sherwood. But bot brands seem to be red is a few places! I don't think I can get the ones that are fully green. So how do I make up for the deficiencies? Do you have a link to the recommended nutrient profile for a rabbit? Sorry for asking all these questions. I guess if pellets are only 5% of the daily food intake, it doesn't matter because hay and veggies will make up for it?

That chart has some good general info, but it isn't perfect, and can give the mistaken impression that some pellets aren't good when they're actually just fine. It also isn't entirely up to date. Sherwood has since changed their formula for the adult pellets, to grass based(used to have alfalfa). Sherwood pellets are perfectly fine to feed, and in my opinion one of the best and most natural rabbit pellets out there.

I'll also add, just because some levels in the chart are red, it doesn't necessarily make the pellets a bad one to feed. The most important points for a good rabbit pellet are high fiber, lower carb, protein that isn't too high(For adult pet rabbits. Higher protein is fine for young, old, or nursing rabbits that need the higher nutrient content), and calcium that isn't too high. Oxbow and sherwood are both good quality rabbit pellets, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I agree with @JBun, just cause the pellets isn't all green doesn't mean its bad. At least with the chart, you can easily see which brands are high in fiber and low in protein and have good ingredients in them :)

If you plan to switch pellets, please do remember to slowly transition it by gradually mixing it. People have different opinions on how to do this, but what I follow is Jo Hinde (from LagoLearn)'s technique of doing it in a span of 10days:
day1: 10% new; 90% old
day2: 20% new; 80% old
day3: 30% new; 70% old
by day10 you should be giving 100% new pellets already :)

Change should be gradual. It should be week one instead of day one, week two instead of day two, and week three instead of day 3.

Change should be gradual. It should be week one instead of day one, week two instead of day two, and week three instead of day 3.
That chart has some good general info, but it isn't perfect, and can give the mistaken impression that some pellets aren't good when they're actually just fine. It also isn't entirely up to date. Sherwood has since changed their formula for the adult pellets, to grass based(used to have alfalfa). Sherwood pellets are perfectly fine to feed, and in my opinion one of the best and most natural rabbit pellets out there.

I'll also add, just because some levels in the chart are red, it doesn't necessarily make the pellets a bad one to feed. The most important points for a good rabbit pellet are high fiber, lower carb, protein that isn't too high(for adult pet rabbits, higher protein is fine for young, old, or nursing rabbits that need the higher nutrient content), and calcium that isn't too high. Oxbow and sherwood are both good quality rabbit pellets, in my opinion.
Thank you JBun, Fuzzy Bunny pH, and Button. This makes me feel better!

Latest posts

Back