What oats for nursing bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jermhen123

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a mini holland lop who has 8 nursing kits! The kits are 4 days old and I heard that feeding the mom oats and black oil sun flower seeds is good while she is nursing. Do Quaker instant oats works? Or regular Quaker whole oats? And just the stuff at frys or Walmart In the oatmeal section will work, right? And any specific brand for the sunflower oil?
Thanks for any help!

Hi. I am a bit lost now, your rabbit had 7 kits 11 weeks ago and now she had another litter of 8? Or it is another rabbit?

Better give her whole rolled oats than instant.
She needs unlimited high protein (min 16%) and high Calcium pellets, up to 240 gram per day, alfalfa based. Make sure she always has plenty of water as well.

What about dad? Is he neutered now, separated?

If older kits are still with her you need to separate them so she stays with her new kits only.

Lol funny you noticed. I didn’t think anyone would notice my previous post. but yes she had a second litter. There was an accident with the dad breaking into moms cage Around that 7ish week mark of previous litter. We ran in when we heard the action (after only like 30 seconds!!) but apparently damage had been done :/ It probably makes us seem like irresponsible and poor bunny caretakers (and it was truly a bad mistake) But we do love and appreciate these animals and learning from all mistakes. This darn Covid has made it difficult to get the male neutered but it’s high priority for us, especially now. He also has his own cage for awhile now. We had them for 3 years now without any mishaps and now we had a second in just a few months so it’s quite embarrassing. But we are making lemonade out of all those lemons:)
But anyways, we’ve gotten new cages and separated all of the previous litter (only 2 left that are going to new homes this Tuesday!! :) So mom is totally focused on the new kits and doing a good job! They all appear healthy so far.

Thank you for info! Yes we’ve been doing lots of alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets (basically doing same thing as last time that worked well). But wanted to try some oats this time. The video I watched said the oats and extra fats help so figured could only help mom along.

thanks for keeping up :)

Whole oats, not instant. I just give her the old fashioned oatmeal oats. For the black oil sunflower seeds, brand doesn't really matter.

I agree old-fashioned oatmeal oats and any BOSS will work. To enhance milk flow for that many babies, you can give her a tablespoon of calf manna daily. I give it to any of my Holland Lops who have a litter of 6+. It is very sugary, so only give until the babies are 4 weeks old / weaning off milk.

Don't worry, accidents happen to everyone so we don't judge ☺️ The best thing I've found is to make sure the buck can't SEE the doe, as he will be less eager to get to her!

Latest posts

Back