What material to put in outdoor Poop Spot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalmingTea

Reaction score
Hi,
My bun loves to hang out outside in our patio/courtyard. She has decided that one of my above ground planters is her Poop Spot and has been pooping there for many months. She hardly poops inside in her litter pan during the day. :)

I go out and shovel it up with a spade, but I'm running out of mulch and the dirt underneath has hardened and started to smell.

Also, I can't pick up the poop without shoveling a significant amount of mulch. Therefore, I will quickly run out of mulch if all I do is go to Lowe's and buy more mulch. And, it doesn't absorb so the dirt is stinky now.

It is under the eaves of the house, so it doesn't get much rain but some will blow in during Rainy Season, and we keep our hose there. We stopped trying to plant anything because if it's edible she will hoover it :) So I am just trying to make it look like a nice neat planter that doesn't smell like poo or urine. :)

Is there some material I can use, and some shovel I can buy that would be smarter? Or several layers of material? I am thinking of something other than bedding which would look terrible, land all over the place and not really look like a garden. Something more like what I'd buy at HOme Depot or Lowes. I love my bunny but I still want the planter to look like an outdoor planter of some kind, not a bunny litter pan.

For example:

could I put stone underneath and Sand on top? Sand might be ugly and may not really absorb anyway

Or

Could I put rabbit Pellet Bedding? This would be somewhat ugly......Again, I'd be going through tons of pellets as they will be caught in the scoop if I buy a Kitty Litter Scoop.

Or
I could put the pellets underneath as an absorbent layer and mulch on top just for looks, and then just replace the mulch every 2 or 3 months as it gets used up. ? Same with pellets, dig it out now and then as it gets stinky?

Or maybe another idea I have not thought of.

It might be better to just put another litter box outside. Fill it with wood cat litter pellets and top it with lots of hay. It’d be way easier to clean than a planter. The reason that she might not use her indoor litter pan is that it may not be big enough. Or she’s a very particular bunny, so the litter box has to be to her standard for her to use it. Some rabbits like their litter box super clean, others super gross.

Latest posts

Back