What litter tray do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billythebun

Reaction score
I recently posted asking about what litter to use, and I had such a helpful response. Now I am wondering what people use as a litter tray because I have one of those stupid corner ones and it is a load of rubbish. I didn't buy it, my mum did and she didn't realise that they were too small. I am looking to get another, better one but can't decide what to get so I was just wondering what other people use.
Thanks.

I use high-sides litter boxes from TSC, which may be a US company. They make a large corner litter box I use in the living room as well, but it's not on their site. Note that these are marketed as cat litter boxes.

Some people use litter boxes with a soft metal grating covering the litter, but mine abhor that thing... they bounce out immediately and refuse to use them.

The key for rabbits is to have a sizeable litter box in which they can fully turn around. This is totally different from BIGPET companies pushing those tiny litter boxes that couldn't fit a 1kg dwarf. (Of course rabbits don't like tiny litter boxes... just like humans don't like tiny cramped bathrooms :))

I know, I don't even know why they sell such TINY litter boxes! I have literally had it a week and I am fed up of it, and so is billy. I am ordering a new one ASAP. I have been looking at cat litter trays as hardly any of the ones advertised for rabbits are big enough.

I also just use a plastic storage tub -- they're cheap and easy to replace. I usually keep a spare on hand so I can refill one and trade it out with the dirty one. I can then take my time cleaning the dirty one, letting vinegar soak on stains when needed and then air drying.

This one is about 23" x 16."

upload_2018-11-5_18-53-48.png

That's a good point for those with multiple rabbits: My bonded pair like to litterbox together, so I keep two litter boxes (the single-bun size ones) next to each other so they can each use one at the same time. If there's only one litter box, they'll still litterbox together... with one using the floor. Using a storage tub is a great option.

I like the corner boxes because the have high backs but agree they are too smsll. I bough multiple cheap cat litter boxes at the dollar store and set a corner box st the right rear. With wood shavings and hay in both boxes it’s big enough for my two rabbits and there’s no pee over the corner!

My two are free roaming but they both have their own "cage" I guess the size some people use for them to live in totally. Both of mine use one specific corner for litter - so that area gets scooped every day or second day, and clean the entire hutch once a week or 10 days.

Oh? I think my pet store only sells one size, and by the sound of it much smaller ones than the one you have. I would love them to sell bigger ones here.

We got ours at Petsmart here--they had several choices and the same is true for the cat pan section, from small to gigantic. I filled a couple on the floor with newspaper I shred by hand. Our mini Rex loved getting inside and would move around under the paper like a submarine and then pop up every now and then. Do you have any pet outlets stores? Petland and Petsmart here have everything for all pets here--like a Super Market for pets and pet products. I also use Amazon a lot.

We have Pets at Home, but they only sell 2 sizes (I checked today) and they are really small. I bought a cat litter tray instead as there was much more variety. I also ordered some storage bins like popsicles said.

We just switched from a rectangular plastic litter box (traditional) to a round hard red/orange plastic pot base from Home Depot. Sturdy and high enough sides, it’s about 18” around and cost about $10. They took right to it and haven’t dumped it over. Our big girl is a 10lb California Rabbit.

Saw a few posts about the wood pellets as a litter material, thank you for the tips, we’re off to try that today.

I have a couple different litter boxes. 2 large corner boxes. 1 is a medium sized cat box & then for the 12 babies I have a Tupperware type box with high sides. I also use the pine pellets with hay in each box. 1 of my rabbits refuses to use a litter box. (old man set in his ways. haha) But he religiously uses 1 corner of his cage so it is easy to clean up.

Latest posts

Back