what kind of veggies are besst for rabbits and how much to feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbigail10398

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a one year old rabbit and i was wondering what kinds of veggies are best for rabbits, my rabbit love romaine lettuce and celery but im trying to get her to try some new things, which is alittle hard since she is picky lol. i was wondering what kind of veggies your rabbit likes and how much and how often to give them veggies. and also i was wondering how much pellets she should have eachday. thanks :)

I give our two adult lionheads three pieces of green leaf lettuce, a one inch piece of carrot, and a small dried apple ring each, each day. Plus a handfuls ul of timothy pellets. Mostly what they eat is timothy hay.

My bunny LOVES peppers, absolutely adores them. You can buy bags of mixed lettuces (not iceberg lettuce) and feed them, that’s what I do anyways. I find that it’s really just testing what they like/dislike is down to the bunny themselves really. I give a small portion of pellets daily, probably about a shot glass. And I also mix a bag of dried herbs that I’ve found in a pet shop near me into his hay.
https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/safe-foods-for-rabbits
That website is really good for seeing what’s good and what should be fed in small portions :)

Think more in terms of "greens" than "veggies." You can see a list of greens that are fine to feed every day and others that are best to limit to a couple times per week here.

When introducing a new green, it may seem that a rabbit is picky, but it is really just that the new green is unfamiliar. So offer the same green multiple times. Sometimes that is what it takes before they see it as more familiar and then give it a try.

As you do this, remember of course to only offer one new type at a time. This way you will know which green is the culprit if a particular green doesn't agree with your rabbit and causes mushy poo.

Carrots are high in sugar and I consider them a treat, rather than a green. If my rabbit gets a 1" slice of carrot one day, that is all the treat he would get on that day.

If you don't do this already, be sure to cut up celery in 1" or 2" pieces to prevent the strings from getting tangled in their gut.

Pellet amounts depends on weight. Hopefully you have plain pellets (not the kind with colorful bits or seeds in it). You can see a how much per weight here.

Latest posts

Back