What kind of rabbit do I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeTheWizard

Reaction score
I've had a rabbit for about 1.5 years now, and I'm still not sure what breed he is, and I'm curious as to if I can figure it out.
(I apologize that it's a bit dark, but you can likely see his colors quite well)

I think that out of all the breeds I've looked at, he appears to look most like a Blanc de Hotot.

Attachments

• 20190102_210241.jpg
    20190102_210241.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
It's a mixed breed rabbit. There's no way to tell which breeds went into the mix, they tend to lose their defining traits within one generation. It's definitely not a blanc de hotot or checkered giant, those are both very rare breeds, and his pattern is wrong for either of them. His color is Broken Black

I know, that's why I was wondering... That the pattern is weird so I looked for a pic which looks so similar to it. Does your vet know the breed?

It's a mixed breed rabbit. There's no way to tell which breeds went into the mix, they tend to lose their defining traits within one generation. It's definitely not a blanc de hotot or checkered giant, those are both very rare breeds, and his pattern is wrong for either of them. His color is Broken Black

Any idea what kind of breeds *may* have went into the mix? I certainly don't think he's any kind of "giant"; he weighs about 6-8 pounds or so, maybe even less. He was a rescue -- someone found him in a dumpster, inside of his cage, and rescued him. I've just been curious about his breed recently. My vet does not know what breed he is -- I assume that it's because, as SableSteel said, "There's no way to tell which breeds went into the mix". I figured I'd ask here because I assume that some rabbit experts may be around x) I'm curious if there is any way to tell other than some kind of DNA testing or something. Thank you both for your replies :)

Latest posts

Back