What kind of bun do I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwage

Reaction score
Someone please tell me what kind of bunny I have, the pet store guys had no idea :(
photo1.jpg

photok.jpg

Wow that is a cute rabbit. That's all I know.

Does anyone want to chime in (even if i'm wrong, I'd like to know) about the type of bedding used? I was always under the impression that shavings were bad for their health. I am not blaming/accusing you of anything OP just pointing it out. I might be wrong but just sayin'.

Cedar shavings are the only ones that are really cause for concern. I would avoid pine shavings, too, myself. Aspen and other hardwood shavings are perfectly fine. I'm terrible at identifying trees from pictures of shavings, though.

That is a really cute mixed breed bunny. The rabbit may have a dwarf breed in him/her, possibly some mini rex or standard rex.

But whatever kind of rabbit it is, the rabbit is very cute.

Adorable!

I'm going to go against the grain and say holland lop - or at least a mix. The ears seem to stick out to the side a bit and the face just reminds me of a holland face.

Your rabbit is a mix which most rabbits are :) I would say Netherland Dwarf mix.
I raise Hollands and I don't think there is any Holland Lop in him, the ears look very Netherland Dwarf, Holland Lops' ears start dropping before this age. (But sometimes it takes longer for them to fully drop)

Thank you all for the input, he is adorable and I am a newfound bunny lover :) As for the shavings, I purchased a cage from the pet store when I got him and a bag of those shavings were included. The bag says it is Aspen and dust free, so I hope that's okay! Someone please tell me if not cause I am still learning!

kwage wrote:
The bag says it is Aspen and dust free, so I hope that's okay! Someone please tell me if not cause I am still learning!
Aspen chips are good. That's what I use for Natasha Rabbitova, and for Scone MacBunny before her, with a thick layer of newspaper under the shavings to absorb the urine.

Avoid cedar or raw pine shavings. If all you can find is kiln-dried pine, that's OK, since the drying bakes out the phenols which would otherwise outgas.

Latest posts

Back