What is Your Limit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brittany85 wrote:
Myia I have to agree with Erin. I believe rabbits are not as hardy as dogs or cats. A bout of diarrhea can kill them very quickly. Of course rabbits can survive complicated procedures but they are a delicate creature.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you treat them at home like you just stated, they probably won't survive a bout of diarrhea because there isn't a vet to be able to prescribe medications that could make the difference. When you catch the diarrhea or stasis is another thing.

Doing rescue, I've seen rabbits come in with no chance and make it. I mean, at the brink of death. And unfortunately, II have seen this too many times to count. You just have to give them the care and love. Now, obviously not every rabbit makes it through illness, but neither do cats or dogs.

For someone as a pet owner at home, it is about catching the illness before it is too late. Not that you can't treat the illness at all.

It is unfortunate people place different values of worth on different animals. I am not judging anyone, but all species can feel pain.

Myia09 wrote:
It is unfortunate people place different values of worth on different animals. I am not judging anyone, but all species can feel pain.[/quote]

Myia09, I do have different limits based on species. Would I spend hundreds of dollars on my gerbils, no. But I also wouldn't let them suffer. I would take them in to be euthenized if it was necessary. I just have a hard time spending a lot of money on an animal that has a 3 year life span. I still take good care of them and make them as happy as I can, but to me they are different than my cats and rabbits. Just my two cents.

Don't take this the wrong way but I feel you are judging. There are not many people who will spend an infinite amount of money on animals. You have your own opinion and that is fine but I have rent to pay and my own expenses. I hope you can accept that not everyone feels the same way as you just as I accept others opinions.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Myia09, I do have different limits based on species. Would I spend hundreds of dollars on my gerbils, no. But I also wouldn't let them suffer. I would take them in to be euthenized if it was necessary. I just have a hard time spending a lot of money on an animal that has a 3 year life span. I still take good care of them and make them as happy as I can, but to me they are different than my cats and rabbits. Just my two cents.

That's different. Brittany said she wouldn't even bring her hamster to the vet at all. I've made the difficult choice numerous times to PTS small animals with short life spans because treatment or surgery would be too difficult or expensive for the age of the animal (mostly hamsters)

By you taking the animal to get PTS if in pain is exactly what I am trying to say, I think you are misreading my posts.

It is when people buy hamsters, or other short-life span pets (Rats is another very common animal for this problem) and expect no vet care or expenses that makes me sad. That's how I got my 3 diabetic hamsters. Nobody wanted to test their urine once a week and give them special food that is easily found at health food stores. They weren't even going to be PTS. They were just going to die. Over something so easily treatable.

Brittany85 wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but I feel you are judging. There are not many people who will spend an infinite amount of money on animals. You have your own opinion and that is fine but I have rent to pay and my own expenses. I hope you can accept that not everyone feels the same way as you just as I accept others opinions.

I pay rent, pay for my BS degree, 4 credit cards, my truck, health insurance, phone/internet, my vet bills, and all my animals care. I have the same bills as everyone else.

I am not judging, I am sorry you feel that way. But I think all animals should at least be taken to the vet, even if you have a "limit" on how much you spend regardless of the species. And the belief that when you adopt a pet, you're adopting all it's expenses and care.

Can't afford the vet, don't get the pet is my motto I guess.

I never said I would let my hamster suffer. I have never had a hamster suffer and if this was the case yes I would get a vet to euthanize. I care for my animals and enjoy the time I have with them but I need to draw the line at some point. I do not appreciate you singling me out negatively. I respect your opinion and I don't wish to discuss this further as I feel it is becoming an argument.

Just a reminder to everyone that this is about your personal limit, not about what you think everyone else should do. It is easy for us to want to force our opinions on others, but this is not the purpose of this thread.

Myia09 wrote:
This was the whole reason I started this thread, because I was curious about what other people consider appropriate to spend at the vets.

I'm wondering what it means to say if you can't afford it, don't get the animal. Animals can be extremely expensive, so is it your opinion that someone who can't afford to drop tens of thousands of dollars on an animal should not own the animal in the first place?

Or, is there a limit? For example, if an animal has a chronic condition that will prove to be very expensive, what do you do? How expensive is too expensive?

I don't have a limit, but if there is a chance to save the animal without pain and they still have a life ahead of them... I will do it. If they're very old for their age, and don't have a good chance of surviving a surgery I would look into other options. I would never cause my animals more pain if I don't have too.

The first 24 hours of having Harley (bunny) we spend almost 300 dollars saving his life and vet visits. Due to him having diarrhea and being 6 weeks old.

Then an emergency spay for my dog cost almost 600 dollars this past May, we took our vacation pay early to pay for it. I would much rather my dog be safe then take a vacation though, no doubt.

If there was no way of paying for the vet care I wouldn't give up. I would find a vet that does a payment plan, I would beg, plead, anything I could. I know most vets who care more about animals then money will help you out if they feel your animal has a chance to life as well.

If worse comes to worse, there's always cleaning kennels to work off the debt. I could see vets doing that. It doesnt' take any special skill to scoop poop. I did that for years.

plasticbunny wrote:
Myia09 wrote:
This was the whole reason I started this thread, because I was curious about what other people consider appropriate to spend at the vets.

I'm wondering what it means to say if you can't afford it, don't get the animal.  Animals can be extremely expensive, so is it your opinion that someone who can't afford to drop tens of thousands of dollars on an animal should not own the animal in the first place?

Or, is there a limit?  For example, if an animal has a chronic condition that will prove to be very expensive, what do you do?  How expensive is too expensive?

No, that isn't what I mean, and that 'motto' is my personal motto ( as I stated) and is my "limit."
For most people, it isn't ten of thousands of dollars. Its a couple hundred, maybe a thousand, but that is "too much" for a animal such as a rabbit.

But IMO opinion, if you know you can't afford to take out a credit line or pay for a surgery, yes, you should not get the pet. Having a pet unfortunately diagnosed with something sudden and not having means for something rather large (multiple thousands) is a different story, but I know of many places that do payment plans.

For an animal who lives 10+ years, you should be willing to invest at least 10,000 IMO. But as stated, this is all MY own opinion.

Like I said before, my 3 diabetic hamsters have a chronic condition that most people wouldn't pay to keep them alive, even though it is relativity inexpensive (but in other peoples opinions, expensive for a "hamster")

Then I have my disabled rabbit with a fused disabled leg, and I know that probably in about 6 or so years I will need to dish out a couple grand (Last estimate was roughly $3200) to have it amputated for when she gets older and there is a possibility it would drag. I adopted her knowing this, and in fact, was one of the reasons why I wanted to adopt her (I knew that I would do it)

Then when Chewy had her head tilt, I dished out at least $1200 (that is an estimate) for her care, and if she continued to have the tilt, I would have continued to pay for her.

To me, the fight isn't over until the animal says it is.

I don't judge anyone who takes their animals to the vet; I only get upset when I hear that people won't. I have really written all my posts very passive, and I am not "targeting" anyone. This is a touchy subject, and while three people have pointed out this is just opinions, realize that this is just my opinion too, not a judgement.

Myia when you single me out for not bringing a hamster to the vet and saying I will not notice sicknesses in rabbits because I treat at home for small issues that is judgment. Please focus on your own opinion and not say things such as thinking it is too bad people don't value animals the same. Thanks.

Brittany85 wrote:
Myia when you single me out for not bringing a hamster to the vet and saying I will not notice sicknesses in rabbits because I treat at home for small issues that is judgment. Please focus on your own opinion and not say things such as thinking it is too bad people don't value animals the same. Thanks.

I apologize for the hamster thing because it is my opinion that all animals should to go the vet; however I never said that you wouldn't notice your rabbit being sick. I was only trying to point out that many times when a rabbit dies from a illness it is because they hide it so well and it becomes to late to treat it.

It happens to even the most experienced rabbit vet. I think it dangerous to tell people that rabbits don't survive illness well because it will lead them to think a rabbit has no chance and vet care isn't worth it.

And a vet can prescribe medications or treatments that most people can't give at home. That isn't a judgement on you, or your care, that is an actual fact. Just like if I get the Flu, a doctor can treat me better than my mother can because the doctor has the knowledge and the ability to prescribe medications.

The "Value" part had actually nothing to do with you. I think it is just upsetting (From a rescue standpoint) that often times cats or dogs get the majority of attention and support while rabbits and other exotics don't. It was a general statement.

Edit: I will however always stand firm that you should take any animal, regardless of species, to the vet, and that is a very core value to me. So I probably become abrasive about it because after 13 years of doing this, all I see are hamsters/rats/reptiles dumped because they needed a $30 medication.

All of our animals get vet care, doesn't matter what species they are. From our rabbits, to our cats, to our rats, and gecko. Euthanizing alone for a pet rat usually costs around $40.00, in my opinion people need to be prepared to -at the very least- cover euthanasia costs if the animal becomes terminally ill. Heck, we pay for medication to treat our fish too when most folks would just flush them (Note: flushing is an awful death). How much we will spend depends on the situation. If something is treatable and the quality of life is still there then we will pay for treatment. When I start getting money coming in I plan to apply for CareCredit. It really is a life saver in hard times!

Please everyone!! This is a sensitive topic and we all have our opinions, as well as our financial thresholds. I ask that we all respect each other and not get personal. Thank you!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Please everyone!! This is a sensitive topic and we all have our opinions, as well as our financial thresholds. I ask that we all respect each other and not get personal. Thank you!

I agree.

This is actually a good topic....as long as it stays constructive and resourceful.

"What's in the best interest of the rabbit"......is going to be different in every case.

Having financial ability to afford a vet is also relative to each and every situation.

It really depends on what the condition is, if the animal is suffering, etc.

I don't think I really have a limit, until I get down to a certain amount of money. Until I get down to the bare minimum that I need to live myself and to help my parents out, I really have nothing else that I need and thus, will be willing to spend on vet care.

For example, I just spent $500 on Ty just for an explanation on a cause for a sickness and found out it was something that is not treatable so at some point, I am going to have to learn how to give Sub-Q fluids on my own to improve his quality of life. Before that, we spent over $600 on my Mom's rabbit Peace, but we needed some help with that and luckily got some donations from some very close friends of ours to help cover his costs.

My Mom's horse, Buzz, has had a tough life and has a condition called Heaves, which is caused by being fed mouldy hay. The guy who sold him to us was only "availible" in early mornings when the air is cooler and thus, his condition is pretty much undetectable. However, when the air is warmer, you can see the more laboured breath. He can't run when the weather is hot without coughing and he needs a good quality hay in the winter with no dust (His condition is like asthma). A lot of people would have put him down by now because he can't be ran and he needs a more expensive food, along with a special "cough syrup" when his breathing gets really bad. He also has a tendency to choke because he inhales food so that's a $200 vet bill every time he does it (He's done it 3 times since we got him year before last), he's poked his eye on stuff and caused an ulcer ($600+), caused injuries to other parts of his body ($100) and next on our list is dealing with his teeth ($200+). He's a big ongoing deal, he's a 22 year old horse who's past his prime and most people around here would have him slaughtered (Something I would REFUSE to even CONSIDER, yet it's a very common thing in Alberta). But instead, we deal with it and love him until he lets us know it's enough. But for now, he's happy. With the board we've paid on top of that, Buzz has really cost us a lot.

I think it's when and what that matters. The animal's welfare comes first.

For me, I don't like to think if it as I will only spend X amount of this pet. I could say my limit is $300, but it might be $350 to solve the issue. While on the other hand, I could spend $600 and have them die on me the next day. For me, it is not so much the money but what the issue is and if it can be treated reasonable and the animal can survive it within reason. I am not going to spend $300+ on a surgery that I don't feel my rabbit will survive because of what is wrong with them. Now if there was a good chace they would survive, then that is another thing.

When Penelope was sick, she went down fast. I am not sure what the issue really was, but I spent about $300 in a day for fluids, some medication and hospitalization. The vet did offer surgery as she was thinking it was a blockage. I really didn't really feel she would have a good chance to survive it based on her condition at the time. As she was suffering, I did opt to put her down. This was hard as she was fine on the Wednesday and Saturday she was gone.
Another example is Sean. He had a weepy eye and snooty nose. I have a feeling that he had some dental issues as it was only on one side and medication didn't help. However, he died before I got a chance to really figure out what it was. I would have spent more on him if he hadn't died, but I never got a chance. I don't remember what it cost me, but it was probably about $300 as well.

So for me, it really depends on the condition of the pet and if I really feel they would survive the treatment, especially if it is more of an invasive treatment. I do need to be realistic as I don't have a ton of money. I would rather me go without something to help save a pet even if they means taking out loans or whatever, but sometimes those aren't an option in the moment when it can be a life or death situation.

We have PetPlan so am never too worried about the £££/$$$ but as others have said i also ask my very professional and caring vets practice as to what they think is best i once spent £500 on a rescue Gp and she only lived a few more months and in hindsight i now feel she went through a little too much although i didnt realise how bad an abccess (SP?)was for them :(

Latest posts

Back