What is up w/ the tossing of the food dish when done eating??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Curious about this behavior.. Is it a male thing? He does this ALL the time.. I know you can buy dishes that are directly connected to his pen so that he doesn't make a "mess" (not really that bad to clean up so I let him) but why?

Randy if your around, I'd be curious to know if wild buns throw things around like this for some dominant behavior or are they saying they now want to be groomed or want out of the pen?

Funny buns...

Now, think like a bunny!

Done with food..... food in bowl like confetti if you toss it.......

PARTY! Oh yeah, cool toy! Let's do this again sometime!

Plus, Mama looks at me and I get attention when she's cleaning it up..... I think she likes when I Do this!

:roflmao:Bo B Bunny wrote:
Now, think like a bunny!

Done with food..... food in bowl like confetti if you toss it.......

PARTY! Oh yeah, cool toy! Let's do this again sometime!

Plus, Mama looks at me and I get attention when she's cleaning it up..... I think she likes when I Do this!

LOL! I think you hit it on the head! In thinking about it he does get attention as I'm asking "why?".. I constantly over think him (he IS so much smarter in my mind)..

I must laugh at myself now.. :wink

Gosh i have three main bunnies..Zak...Marley and Chocolate Bunny who just love tipping the plate over while the other bunnies are still eating their pellets....i just don't know why they do that....but yes they do it all the time as well....naughty little bunnies.

Cheryl

cheryl, think like a bunny..... who I believe are intelligent little pranksters! That's why they binky when they get caught doing something! LOL!

flipping the plate = pie in the face....... great comedy!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
cheryl, think like a bunny..... who I believe are intelligent little pranksters! That's why they binky when they get caught doing something! LOL!

flipping the plate = pie in the face....... great comedy!
Haha yeah..i believe that to be very true....cheeky little things they are lol...even when they are naughty little buggers.

He might also be saying... "OK, you're done, it's time to play with me again!" or "Ok, you're done.... I'm saving that for later!" :p

You're lucky, mine like to toss their bowls around before they are done eating. I have the food and water in lock-crocks now so they can't toss those, but Sparky really enjoys a "tossed salad" in the morning. My foster, Harley, is funny. He always drags his food bowl to the exact center of his pen.

funny my guinea pig, who is a male, flips his pellet bowl, and my male rabbit digs in his while there is food in there. My rabbit use to dump it until i got a heavy ceramic dish but he still pusshes is and pulls it all over the cage,lol.

Well, you ALL are lucky because I have a horse (Kota) who will back up to his feed bucket and take a big poop when it's empty. We had to change him to a floor pan to stop it! My FIL was ready to kill him! LOL!

I have to agree with you all - feeding dish = attention, and THEY all learn very quickly that you pay attention to this ONE thing..

What they HELL do they do in the wild to get attention from each other? This is what I'm curious about..

Funny critters, buns, guinnea pigs, horses, etc are.. Never had a cat do this - seems to bespecific to animals that are "penned".

Thats kind of sad when you think about it.. :X

slavetoabunny wrote:
My foster, Harley, is funny. He always drags his food bowl to the exact center of his pen.

ROFL! Max has to rearrange his fod dish before he can eat, too. He doesn't put it in the center of his pen, but wherever I put it is "not right" LOL. So he will take a bite, drag it over here, take another bite, drag it over there, and keep that up until it's in the right spot, wherever that is.

Julie-the reaon cats don't do stuff like that is because it's beneath them to act up for attention! LOL

Ash does this too, but he's not usualy done eating. He eats some, then spills it... I just ignore it now... He eats it up off the floor... I always just figured he liked "searching" for the room around the floor of him cage... *silly babbits!*

ThatsMySimi wrote:
Ash does this too, but he's not usualy done eating. He eats some, then spills it... I just ignore it now... He eats it up off the floor... I always just figured he liked "searching" for the room around the floor of him cage... *silly babbits!*

YES! I thought Baxter! did it as he was trying to tell me "I'm done slave - take this away", but then Bo B Bunny suggested it was for attention, which also makes sense "I'm fed now play with me".. I tried a little experiment and just started to pour his pellets on the floor and he now drags his food bowl over to tell me first thing in the morning "I'm hungry!".. LOL!!! He is like a naughty child that has been figured out.. So after he dragged his food bowel over this AM to be fed I put the pellets into it - he ate some and then DUMPED IT OVER!!! Just to show I guess he is still in control...

Silly guy he is..

Lol! This thread made me laugh!

I can tell you that it's not just a male thing though. Chalk and Mouse have their 'dinner' on the shelf, and recently Chalk has taken to throwing her food bowl off the shelf, at around 5pm everyday, so she can then snooze in that spot for a while.

The food bowl almost always flips and lands upside down, thereby trapping the remainder of it's contents inside. Now, Big White Scary Bunny Snowy, will go into their cage trying to steal food, and not be able to get it! It's like a little bunny security system LOL!

gentle giants wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
My foster, Harley, is funny. He always drags his food bowl to the exact center of his pen.

ROFL! Max has to rearrange his fod dish before he can eat, too. He doesn't put it in the center of his pen, but wherever I put it is "not right" LOL. So he will take a bite, drag it over here, take another bite, drag it over there, and keep that up until it's in the right spot, wherever that is.

Julie-the reaon cats don't do stuff like that is because it's beneath them to act up for attention! LOL

LOL Miss Lily does the same thing with her food bowl. No matter where I put it, she slides it all over the place until she's done eating. When she is done eatingthe empty bowl becomes a play toy that she tosses all around her cage.When that doesn'tget our attention she starts beating on her water bottle. Drivesmy husband nuts because her cage is right beside the couch where he lays down to watch tv. Needless to say, he ends up letting her out to run around and we can hear the TV.

Smart little BunBun

Hate to throw a monkey wrench in the engine (wait, no i don't hate it, I love doing that! lol!), Hershey throws his bowl too but:

he's not penned, he has a whole room to himself, not even a pen in sight!

he doesn't get attention, cause I'm rarely around when he does it!

I just figured after he's eaten the top part of the pellets, its get more difficult to get to the pellets so he throws the bowl and the pellets fly, then it's easier to get at them. Seems like if I keep the bowl pretty full, (and velcroed to the bottom) he does less throwing!

William always did this. I think they just enjoy tossing it. You know how a little kid will never play with their own toys but will find a toy in everything else?

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Latest posts

Back