What is this worm thing?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liung

Reaction score
I was petting Delilah as she sat on a towel and suddenly spotted what looked like a very tiny worm wiggling around. After I freaked out and shoved Delilah away, I couldn't see it... until I discovered what looked like a white cocoon tube that the thing had withdrawn itself into

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1509071016.960746.jpg

It was less than a centimetre long, in a tube that looked faintly scaled and brittle. Its black head would pop out and wiggle around and when it came out enough I could see that the rest of its body was a semi-clear white and I believe it had nubby little legs. I don't know if it was an egg

**I don't know if it was an egg sac or cocoon but either way I'm terrified it's some dire parasite that's going to inflict itself on my bunnies.

And secondary worry to that WHY IS IT IN MY HOUSE EW EW EW I HATE CREEPY CRAWLIES.

But primarily, bunnies. If it's harmless to them I'll be unhappy but if it's a parasite I'm getting my **** house fumigated. NO CRAWLY TOUCHES MY BABIES.

I'm especially worried about parasites because Delilah had just been licking the towel. What if that's what roundworm larvae looks like? I had to take a class on animal parasites and diseases and got a VERY THOROUGH learning in what horrible things get ingested and then grow up inside the body. EWWWWW.

I just got back from the vet for their annual checkup they're in great health except for a blocked tear duct on Delilah but I'm turning right around and going back to the clinic because I JUST FOUND THREE MORE EWWWWWWWW DR PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THESE ARE

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1515602497.788741.jpg

I have a bowl of loose fur after I read that their own fur is best padding for sore hocks and these horrible things were in the bottom

So my vet got back to me promptly and after putting them under a microscope he called me back to say that they are the larvae of the "common carpenter clothes moth", the typical moth you see flying around a house.

He says they shouldn't cause problems with the buns but he also has no idea why they'd be near the buns in the first place.

Whew! Thank goodness they're not some horrible parasite. But they're still SUPER GROSS NOOOOO WHY ARE THEY IN MY HOUSE

Like the one upside of Canadian winter is I don't have to deal with bugs so WHYYYY

Well that's a relief... kind of. It would have had me freaking out too.

So I think it's the rabbits own loose fur that attracts the moths. Same way they are attracted to sheep's wool. I'm not sure how you would combat it besides keeping their loose fur cleaned up and disposed of as much as possible. Pretty hard with rabbits. Maybe there is a natural deterrent besides cedar, which cedar wouldn't be safe to have continually around rabbits. This following link was saying lavender, mint, and thyme/rosemary works to repel moths, and since these are safe plants for rabbits to eat, I would presume they are also safe to have in their environment regularly. Though I would probably use the dried herbs over the essential oils, as I'm not sure how rabbits would be with the stronger oils scent, but maybe it would be fine too.
https://www.thebalance.com/get-rid-of-moths-1388158

Yeah I googled them quickly, and found a page that says there's two types of clothes moth in my area: web and case. The case moth is the one I have—one of the things that had me freakin out is that what looked like a cocoon clearly wasn't a cocoon if they were poking their heads out. No metamorphosis was happening, it was just a shell they'd made to live in.

So the page I was reading said that the case moths were interesting because the moths themselves don't eat at all; instead, the females lay eggs in fabric, and the larvae hatch, consume the fabric around them, and create a case out of the fabric fibres.

So the first one I found, its case looked almost scaley. These three, at first I thought their cases were just bits of fluff, like dryer lint, and I went to pick them out of the loose fur when the horrible crawly poked its head out to look at me. Closer inspection showed their cases seemed to be made of fur.

So the issue here is yes, I have a bowl of loose fur the moths apparently thought was a great place to lay eggs... that's gone ASAP, further fur collection will be in a jar... but I also have a lot of other fabrics everywhere that don't necessarily get cleaned regularly the way fabrics should to prevent moths. I have piles of towels everywhere for any occasion—I've even got a towel covering a large litter box, to give Lahi a litter that will keep shavings from sticking to Lahi's feet when I've put antiseptic wash on his sore hocks and I'm waiting for them to dry. That towel, predictably, gets pretty nasty sometimes. Let's not forget also that their enclosure is carpeted. The floor is carpet, the condo shelves are carpet, and with me not living with them right now it certainly doesn't get vacuumed on a regular basis!

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1515629037.532967.jpg

And of course being a basement there's junk and stuff stored everywhere. The next room has racks of old clothing. The ancient sectional couch is rotated around and has an equally ancient mattress on it to make a bed, with old sheets and a bunch of leftover blankets.

So when I look up clothes moths and see "make sure all fabric gets cleaned regularly"...

Hahah so what you're saying is I'm screwed???

Anyway yes someone immediately brought up cedar as a preventative and I immediately shot that down, lavender does ring a bell for me though. Thing is to my understanding, cedar/lavender/other scents are intended to be packed into dressers/chests/boxes to prevent moths from getting into stored fabrics. They're generally only used in enclosed spaces.

But perhaps it's just assumed that fabrics not stored are getting cleaned regularly???

The ultimate takeaway here though is that they're not dangerous to rabbits. Perhaps a particularly bold moth might try to lay eggs on a rabbit's fur while it's still attached to them? But they're not parasites, so if the typically fastidious rabbit grooms the eggs out of their fur and ingests them, they're not going to hatch in the digestive system and have a party through the body, and that's what I was afraid of. Tapeworm, roundworm, and other such parasites depend on the host consuming the worm and growing to maturity inside the hosts' body, and so I panicked finding worm-things in areas that the buns might ingest them.

Still bad news for apparently various fabrics and clothes in the house might be literally moth-eaten, but the bunnehs are safe so I could literally care less about my fabrics right now.

Ahh **** I take it back, I have a gorgeous papasan chair that I would cry if it got moth-eaten

640px-Papsan_image.png

I have the base wrapped in a sheet to keep it from being chewed on and anther sheet covering the cushion to keep it from getting all covered in wood shavings and fur but I bet the moths would love hatching in it D:

Nooooooooo...

Latest posts

Back