What is this noise??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
This noise is driving me crazy. I've taken her to the vet twice. Her lungs are clear so that's not it. We've tried metacam just in case it's from pain due to arthritis (8 years old) but neither has helped.
It sounds like an eh eh eh eh that is on rhythm with her breathing. I can't figure out how to upload a video.

You have to upload it to somewhere like youtube, then insert the link in your next post.

It could be her soft palate is weakening as she gets older. I have some buns that make that 'snoring' noise when they are resting, and they haven't ever had any other respiratory issues. You can also see in this link about diagnosing noisy breathing, that the rabbit in the video makes a similar sound. And this is a quote from the link:
[FONT=&quot]'Weakening of the soft palate. With aging, the soft palate may become weak and floppy, which can lead to increased snoring during sleep. Increased snoring has been observed in older animals when resting, e.g. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]dogs or cats.'[/FONT]

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Differential/respira_diff.htm

You've ruled out a possible respiratory infection, so if it is the soft palate issue from age, then it sounds like it's not something to worry about unless you start noticing increased respiratory effort and/or mouth breathing.

We had a rabbit make a similar sound but it was a little louder, and became more so when he moved around more. The vet took head X-rays and found a mass that was interfering with his breathing, most likely a tumor. Just for piece of mind, you might consider head X-rays if it turns out a soft palate isn't the problem.

Latest posts

Back