What is the ultimate rabbit treat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must_Love_Pets wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
I found a new one perfect for summer- Frozen honey dew mellon! I would think any kind of mellon would work, but it's sweet and cold. :)

Mmmmmmm I want some of that! Uuuh I mean my bunnies would love that. I will have to give that one a whirl :biggrin2:

LOL that is how I found it. I got some out of the freezer and was snacking on it. Becky informed me that it was also good for rabbits and she demanded her fair share! :big wink:

Any fruit really, especially bananas and grapes but I try and be so careful and really only use them as 'treats'. Also Benji goes crazy for romaine lettuce, which he can pretty much have every day but he still adores it.

Jen

This is confusing to me being I hear different things and I new to bunnies. How often would you give your bun a "treat" every day? once a wk? Whats considered a "treat?" Is ANY fruit good for buns? I hear alot of banana's, and cheerios?

Also with veggies mostly any veg thats green that I have seen that pple give there buns. Again, we just got our little thumper 4 days ago and are still trying to know what different things to feed her other then hay and pellets. She is a holland lop doe 4mo.

My rabbits HATE being picked up, but the only thing they will eat from my hand while being held is a banana.

I actually tried to get Sera to like to be picked up before with carrots.. and once i presented the carrot, she would run from me knowing what that meant lol

But banana's in large quantities can be bad for your bun. It is kinda funny to watch them chew it though

new2bunnies wrote:
This is confusing to me being I hear different things and I new to bunnies. How often would you give your bun a "treat" every day? once a wk? Whats considered a "treat?" Is ANY fruit good for buns? I hear alot of banana's, and cheerios?

Also with veggies mostly any veg thats green that I have seen that pple give there buns. Again, we just got our little thumper 4 days ago and are still trying to know what different things to feed her other then hay and pellets. She is a holland lop doe 4mo.
http://www.rabbit.org/

Seraphina: This site helped better then other ones that have been recomended.

However, I did try cilontro,kale,carrots and bananas.

Thumper started eating AS SOON AS I PUT THE BOWL back in. I was surprised that she did that. I only gave her a few sprigs of cilntro and not even a half of a leaf of kale and just a few pieces of carrot and banana.

According to THIS site it says that it is ok to give banana but as a treat ONLY which is what once a wk or so maybe? I will be watching see if our little Thumber likes her veggies. lol

your welcome! we do fruit treats like once a week. It's kinda funny when your rabbit nearly trips you, or rams into you for the food your getting. (then your guinea pigs are weeting at you in the background because they know something with food is involved)

Seraphina wrote:
It's kinda funny when your rabbit nearly trips you, or rams into you for the food your getting.  (then your guinea pigs are weeting at you in the background because they know something with food is involved)

Oh that just made me laugh! I can see your pigs in the back "ME-ME-ME too"?! Too funny.

juliew19673 wrote:
Seraphina wrote:
It's kinda funny when your rabbit nearly trips you, or rams into you for the food your getting. (then your guinea pigs are weeting at you in the background because they know something with food is involved)

Oh that just made me laugh! I can see your pigs in the back "ME-ME-ME too"?! Too funny.

Lol yes, the sound of a bag can be a very dangerous thing. (you probably know or will find out) We've actually gotten into the habit of shaking the bag before giving any to them because it is kinda funny... it's like their drug of choice.

Then one of my guinea pigs, marbo,will alert me when theres something he wants and will actually look down the hallway for me and watch until i come. I laugh so hard everytime i think of the other one roaring into the kitchen one time haha.

Then you give Sera a treat, it takes her 2 hours to figure out she isn't getting another one. Meanwhile, she keeps landing my lap, climbing all over me in search of one, following me around the house. Then leaping onto the couch before i sit on it. It's a wonder how she doesn't pee on me in excitement haha.

Spike gets a fruit treat once a week. He goes bonkers for pineapple (which I have heard can also help with hairballs, but not sure if this is true). He also loves green apples. They are my favorite to watch, because he will grab the piece eagerly from my hand and eat it, only to get a "sour face" a second later. He has to blink and shake his head. But then comes begging for seconds. It is too funny!

I made the mistake of buying "Market Apple" hand soap once and couldn't figure out why Spike went crazy every time I washed my hands. The poor guy kept smelling the apple and thinking we was getting a treat. Boy did I feel bad when I figured it out. No more apple soap for us.

Spikethebunny wrote:
I made the mistake of buying "Market Apple" hand soap once and couldn't figure out why Spike went crazy every time I washed my hands. The poor guy kept smelling the apple and thinking we was getting a treat. Boy did I feel bad when I figured it out. No more apple soap for us.
LOL Good thing Spike didn't bite your fingers because they smelled so good! :)

Latest posts

Back