What is the ultimate rabbit treat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gale

Reaction score
We will be picking up our bun, who was on a food strike, from the vet tomorrow. They are testing today for parasites so if she does have something, we'll have to give her meds every day. Something that is not her favorite thing. So if we have to torture her I want to give her the treat of all treats afterward. She likes apples but doesn't really go wild or anything and also bell peppers but other than that she mostly just gets her regular romaine/parsley/carrot etc which is probably all pretty ho-hum for her. What does your bunny consider the holy grail of treats?

Parsley is something we always have luck with when a bunny is refusing to eat. If they are being really tough, we offer a small piece of banana.

dry whole grain bread such as sunflower, flax or ancient grain bread. Something that has a lot of stuff in it, not just whole wheat. He also is crazy about banana, organic spring or herbal mix salad greens, and of course dandelions and clover. If you live in a bigger center you can always find dandelion greens in the salad center of the produce. Where the endive etc is.

I regularly give my buns parsley, etc... so I dont really think of those as treats so much as their dietary staple.
So for "treats" I use other things (and different buns do have different tastes)... I have a buck who thinks Cheerios are the best thing in the whole world and will even do tricks for them, and I have a doe who thinks a few nibbles of cantaloupe is just the best thing she ever tasted and will come running when she sees I have some for her!

You cannot eat a banana in this house with out our bunnies tripping you (if they are out) or begging on hind legs in the cage. They love cilantro, get it regularly but act like it is a treat. They love lavender, mint and rosemary too.

Freckles loves apples. she also loves mint. However the people here seem to have gotten her used to treats everytime some one goes out there so now she expects you to always have a treat in hand when you go out to her hutch.

Thanks everyone. The vet called today and she has no parasites, so I don't have to give her meds. That is a good thing because they hate getting medicine! It's nice to know the good treats though. I'm looking up posts now on preventing hairball as the vet is seeing a lot of hair in her poop. We still don't know what caused her to stop eating so now I will be paranoid about it happening again.

Jacob has a thing for blueberries (they are like his crack). He almost gets depressed when I come back from the grocery store and I don't have his little box of them. He will also start climbing his cage, if I don't give them to him right away. He also likes pieces of apple, banana and carrots for his treats.

If you get in a bind with a rabbit showing a lot of hair in their feces you can always give them hairball meds for a cat. The malt ones are better as they are not as strong tasting as the "fish" flavored ones. We had an angora rabbit that we had to give this to one a regular basis, but still ended up having a fur ball that had to be removed surgerically. If they won't lick it off your finger, squeeze into a syringe. Plain vaseline also works and has no flavour.

Cilantro, but they have also fallen in love with the young spring wild mescalin mix from the grocery store. My rabbits are turned off on mint, but will do apple and carrots.

My girl was prescribed the hairball medicine after a heavy shed but she hates it, I can't find any way to disguise it - it's sticky and maple flavor, are there any other flavors out there she might like?

I used the papya enzyme tablets to prevent hair balls and the kids LOVE it! My three that know what it is beg for it every night when I shake the bottle. I'm sure the new guy will also given time to figure out the sound = treat.

They all love cilantro the most of the herbs.

I know it's terrible, but after vet visits or other traumatic days I give them the alfalfa slims from the pet store. They go crazy.

I was told that cat hair ball medicine was not good for rabbits. Cat hair balls and rabbit "hair balls" are different things. The cat medicine can actually make a rabbit have more difficulty passing the hair ball.

edit: fresh banana and dried blueberries are Hershey's favorites!

Belldandy goes nuts for anything, especially fennel and strawberries.

I thought she was acting exciting everytime someone got a bowl of cereal, I caught my 4 year old sneaking her dry cheerios.

Love this thread, but read the first 4 responses and everyone was vegetables (which is wise and healthy) but mine LOVE dried banana chips, craisens (and raisens), cheerios; the rest they get am/pm lettuce, parsley, cilantro; but dried craisen is their drug of choice.. They loose their minds for dried fruit..

Gir oves apple and strawberries, i only give them to her on rare occasions though. Snowball loves carrots, he cant get enough of them ^^

MiniLopHop wrote:
I found a new one perfect for summer- Frozen honey dew mellon! I would think any kind of mellon would work, but it's sweet and cold. :)

Mmmmmmm I want some of that! Uuuh I mean my bunnies would love that. I will have to give that one a whirl :biggrin2:

My bunners LOOOOVE craisens & apples(in moderation) parsley and cilantro.

Latest posts

Back