what is the earliest you would breed one of the medium breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorbyJobRabbits

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, those of you who have been breeding for a while, what is the earliest you would try to breed some of the medium breeds, like the Harlequins, florida whites exc...?

I know the ages are 6 months and up, I was curious if any try just a little before if the rabbit is healthy, growing fast, exc...

I have rhinelanders, which are considered a 'Medium' breed (even though one of my does would make you think otherwise lol) and it depends a bit. I breed between 7-8 months really. But other breeders have gone and bred at 6 months. I have seen though that the does arewonderful mothers at 7-8 months and produce beautiful litters. :)

I breed like my grandmother did 6-8 months depending on the doe. If at 6 months you don't think the doe is ready then wait till 7 or 8 months. sometimes it may take more than that for a doe to be ready.

Crystal

I knew the ages and such, I was curious if anyone actually tries to push before that. Like try at 5 months or whatever. I knew a lot on here breed way more then I do my rabbits, so I was curious.

I know you CAN go earlier, but it'll stunt the growth as far as I know.

I had an ND doe that accidentally got bred at 10 weeks, took, and delievered 28 days later. Raised all four perfectly.
I've also bred some ND's at four months, in certain cases. Not an awesome practice, but.. Eh.

Even for my small breeds I like to give them until 5 months for buds, and 6~7 months for tiny show does.

Latest posts

Back