What is the best safest rabbit litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it’s covering it but he likes to dig for some reason lol my guess would be to find better strands or something. He’s able to reach the pellets on the bottom. I didn’t put a lot just enough for it to cover the bottom. Then I put the hay on top. Looks like this.
He probably doesn't realize the pellets are there and when he did notice, he probably wanted to move it out of his box. >.> You'd be amazed how often these little goof balls will pick up pieces of hay and toss them out the box as well.

If he nibbles on the pellets a little, it shouldn't cause any problems, unless he tries eating them to excess. Rabbits in nature, chew on and eat safe branches and wood all of the time. In fact my rabbits love devouring apple and willow branches. Your rabbit may try the wood pellets out just to see what they are, then realize they aren't food or that tasty, and leave them alone after that.

I use this stuff, Talon ABM and put hay over it so the buns dont get poked in their little feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_083342950.jpg
    IMG_20210612_083342950.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1
If he nibbles on the pellets a little, it shouldn't cause any problems, unless he tries eating them to excess. Your rabbit may try the wood pellets out just to see what they are, then realize they aren't food or that tasty, and leave them alone after that.
That is so true! When we swapped over to straw-based pellets, Storm ate one and then decided that the others weren't edible. Not only does he try out any questionably edible item, he will try to taste definetly inedible items too. When i got him ceramic tiles, he gnawed at their edges a few times, confirming them to be a cold, hard, inedible material.

@Catlyn - quick side note on trying out questionable items. Ahhh, nibbling items you should not. Our FG boy got into trouble with a Petromalt tube. I didn't think he could reach it on the shelf after he jumped on top another.

Sidenote wrt eating hay as show in Blue eyes visual. Our vet told me about force-feeding single or multi-strands of hay into the side-opening of a rabbit's teeth. This has helped on many occasions and to keep GI functioning well and seeing those happy, plentiful brown marbles.

Attachments

• SonnyGotChewingPetromalt_Jan2019.jpg
    SonnyGotChewingPetromalt_Jan2019.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
I thought pine was a no-no due to the scent? Just from what I have read, I am no where near knowledgeable.
pine pellets are okay but shavings aren't, unles they are kiln dried. pine pellets are actually perfectly fine for bunnies as they are compressed pine. the main reason why pine shaving is bad is because it releases certain scents (phenols) which can harm a rabbit's respiratory system. pine shavings have a lot more surface area than pine pellets meaning that they give off more phenols, but pine pellets are fine since they have less surface area than pine shavings. also most pine pellets are kiln made so this rids of most of the phenols. hope this helped you learn a bit more!

pine pellets are okay but shavings aren't, unles they are kiln dried. pine pellets are actually perfectly fine for bunnies as they are compressed pine. the main reason why pine shaving is bad is because it releases certain scents (phenols) which can harm a rabbit's respiratory system. pine shavings have a lot more surface area than pine pellets meaning that they give off more phenols, but pine pellets are fine since they have less surface area than pine shavings. also most pine pellets are kiln made so this rids of most of the phenols. hope this helped you learn a bit more!

Thank you so much for the detailed information! Good to know!

Latest posts

Back