What is the best safest rabbit litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hi, guys so I haven’t been able to buy the litter I usually buy for Louie so I’m gonna need to buy a new brand.. any brands I should use? I saw the carefresh is good and some other brand. Apparently paper based litter is good? Thing is I just don’t want my rabbit ingesting it.. HES a trouble maker so can someone let me know what’s best for him!

What is the litter you usually buy?

I personally use the tractor supply pine pellet stall bedding as litter.
I put a sheet of plastic knitting mesh on top of it so it's a more pleasant surface to stand on and to keep things clean.

Also, again personally, I have observed paper-based litters to be far less absorbent. That's not a problem for everyone, but when I got my second rabbit, just one of her pees would saturate so much of the litter, very unlike my other rabbit.

What is the litter you usually buy?

I personally use the tractor supply pine pellet stall bedding as litter.
I put a sheet of plastic knitting mesh on top of it so it's a more pleasant surface to stand on and to keep things clean.

Also, again personally, I have observed paper-based litters to be far less absorbent. That's not a problem for everyone, but when I got my second rabbit, just one of her pees would saturate so much of the litter, very unlike my other rabbit.
I see. Do you know what other type of pine litter is safe then? I think I’ve heard of that brand BUT I need this litter for tomorrow and I think I’ve seen it takes a while for it to get here so I need one that’s safe and good enough for odor control and that’s gonna absorb the pee.. I found these which are somewhat a good price cus my parents are kind of iffy when spending a lot of money on my bun. Are these any good? Or do you have Any other thoughts? Also I would buy the clay pearls I think they were and he wouldn’t ingest them so that’s why I would buy it. Only bought it because it was like 8 pounds for like 8 dollars so I basically wasted about 20 dollars per month on his litter.

Attachments

• D2232A06-C62D-437C-B61C-23F6DACCBC44.png
    D2232A06-C62D-437C-B61C-23F6DACCBC44.png
    471.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 0EAE325B-7D0C-4D71-B977-0F5D44E5DCDA.png
    0EAE325B-7D0C-4D71-B977-0F5D44E5DCDA.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BD7DD276-4160-4045-8E6B-C81842899EE2.png
    BD7DD276-4160-4045-8E6B-C81842899EE2.png
    480 KB · Views: 2
If you want what is the best at odor absorbing and the cheapest, then get the wood pellets (pine or hardwood). [ These are same as what @John Wick mentioned] These can be any brand and are sold as wood stove pellets or as horse stall bedding. You can typically get a 40lb bag for about $7. I top mine with hay.

Carefresh is ok to use but I find it makes a mess, sticks to bun fur and get tracked everywhere.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Wood pellets can be found (usually) at Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, feed stores.

If you want what is the best at odor absorbing and the cheapest, then get the wood pellets (pine or hardwood). [ These are same as what @John Wick mentioned] These can be any brand and are sold as wood stove pellets or as horse stall bedding. You can typically get a 40lb bag for about $7. I top mine with hay.

Carefresh is ok to use but I find it makes a mess, sticks to bun fur and get tracked everywhere.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Wood pellets can be found (usually) at Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, feed stores.
Okay. You think I have find something on petco? Or Amazon? I just search up pine pellets?

Update I saw on another bunny blog where apparently equine pine pellets work really well. When I search it up this comes up:
I’m not sure if that’s safe for them but my guess would be no... I’m gonna check on Home Depot right now.

Attachments

• CB519668-0FD6-4294-AB04-BCD7C771F9D6.png
    CB519668-0FD6-4294-AB04-BCD7C771F9D6.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 2
Update I saw on another bunny blog where apparently equine pine pellets work really well. When I search it up this comes up:
I’m not sure if that’s safe for them but my guess would be no... I’m gonna check on Home Depot right now.
Nearest tractor supply to me is an hour oh my gosh.. I’m gonna check Amazon

Okay so what I came back to is this.. People said I should get equine pine pellets and to make sure they were kiln something. I forgot what it was but it said something about that. In conclusion, are these safe for him? I need it by tmr so if you guys could answer I would appreciate :)

Attachments

• C40866A8-C125-4467-8560-27BFE7070107.png
    C40866A8-C125-4467-8560-27BFE7070107.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 6
Equine pine pellets is likely referring to the same pine pellet stall bedding I mentioned, FYI! People can call it different things. Equine is horse-related, and the "stall" bedding refers to being used in horse stalls.

Equine pine pellets is likely referring to the same pine pellet stall bedding I mentioned, FYI! People can call it different things. Equine is horse-related, and the "stall" bedding refers to being used in horse stalls.
I figured. I think I’ll be getting the cat litter I mentioned. It’s 40lbs and that’ll do us a big favor.

that cat litter looks fine
I think I’ll get this then but I’m just gonna stuck some pics of what the litter has like the description. I wanna make sure this is okay and safe for him since I can’t get the tractor supply one. I’ll get it next time if possible because it’s 26-30 dollars for delivery when the tractor supply pellets are 6 bucks

Attachments

• B69599BC-0885-4002-B601-B6FB11391C58.png
    B69599BC-0885-4002-B601-B6FB11391C58.png
    340.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DD1C2A25-84BA-4966-9165-24CCECF01D6F.png
    DD1C2A25-84BA-4966-9165-24CCECF01D6F.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 56B4923F-CF53-4BE2-A969-E9FCA3CBEAB0.png
    56B4923F-CF53-4BE2-A969-E9FCA3CBEAB0.png
    479.6 KB · Views: 4
That litter is fine... just much more expensive because it is packaged for pet stores.

It IS the same as what we are talking about... horse stall bedding, woodstove pellets, equine pine.... all the same stuff.

As I said earlier, wood pellets can be found (usually) at Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, feed stores. Surely there is something nearby where you live. If you get it from a local store, it's usually around $7 for a 40 pound bag (as opposed to the $30 for the same thing packaged as "FelinePine"). (avoid the kind with baking soda)

(By the way, when you were discussing "kiln" -- that's referring to kiln-dried pine which is only relevant to pine shavings. Pine shavings emit harmful fumes (phenols)--- unless it is kiln-dried. This doesn't apply to pellets because the process used to make the pellets removes those phenols.)

That litter is fine... just much more expensive because it is packaged for pet stores.

It IS the same as what we are talking about... horse stall bedding, woodstove pellets, equine pine.... all the same stuff.

As I said earlier, wood pellets can be found (usually) at Tractor Supply, Cal-Ranch, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, feed stores. Surely there is something nearby where you live. If you get it from a local store, it's usually around $7 for a 40 pound bag (as opposed to the $30 for the same thing packaged as "FelinePine"). (avoid the kind with baking soda)
I’m just making sure. Just wanting to make things safe for my rabbit. That’s all. I’m just gonna buy this one because it’s the closest to us.. besides 15 bucks for 40 pounds isn’t bad. Yes it’s more expensive but it also matters about how far it is. Thank you all 🙏🏽

I got the litter and I didn’t have to put a lot which is good but my concern is will my rabbit eat this? He was eating hay right now and he saw a pine pellet sticking out and he was trying to bite it/pick it up. Should I let him or keep watch on him. I’m concerned for when I put him away in his cage.. Should I be concerned or is this fine. The pine pellets are 100% natural pine and it says it doesn’t use any chemicals or anything else to enhance odor control.

I got the litter and I didn’t have to put a lot which is good but my concern is will my rabbit eat this? He was eating hay right now and he saw a pine pellet sticking out and he was trying to bite it/pick it up. Should I let him or keep watch on him. I’m concerned for when I put him away in his cage.. Should I be concerned or is this fine. The pine pellets are 100% natural pine and it says it doesn’t use any chemicals or anything else to enhance odor control.
Is the hay covering the litter? That's how I do it for their litter box. Just have a scoop at one end and the hay covering it over to the brim. They don't eat it, and it absorbs the urine pretty well. I use Small Pet Select kiln dried pine pellets for litter, but that's a personal preference. There's also Yesterday's News paper pellet cat litter, too.

Is the hay covering the litter? That's how I do it for their litter box. Just have a scoop at one end and the hay covering it over to the brim. They don't eat it, and it absorbs the urine pretty well. I use Small Pet Select kiln dried pine pellets for litter, but that's a personal preference. There's also Yesterday's News paper pellet cat litter, too.
Yes, it’s covering it but he likes to dig for some reason lol my guess would be to find better strands or something. He’s able to reach the pellets on the bottom. I didn’t put a lot just enough for it to cover the bottom. Then I put the hay on top. Looks like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back