What is the best place to buy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helena

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So right now I've been searching for a place to buy Orchard Hay without it being really expensive for a little hay. I get that animals cost money and I'm not against spending it, I just want to get the best deals on good quality hay. Orchard Hay Does anyone buy this hay and how long will the 5 pound box last two rabbits? Any other suggestions on where to buy Orchard Hay? Thanks everybunny!! 😊

I used to get all my hay from Shop Our Store
It's a great quality and I think the prices are good. I only stopped getting because I moved and the delivery wouldn't drop it off at my house for some reason.

Check local feed stores and buy by the bale. It is by far the least expensive way to buy hay. A full bale can last 2 rabbits well more than 8 months and typically costs about $15.
I did do that, but we don't have many good options for bales. The one I have access to is powdery :(.

Depending on how much you waste.

People buy by big bales from farms and waste a lot and it is still very cheap. Honestly I had very mixed experience with buying big bales. If you live in an apartment you need to split it to a few bags/boxes and also I had some really bad experience with the insects in it and 3 bales were just bad old and stinky inside, dusty, wasn't possible to feed my rabbits so they were cheap but when you calculate I've lost my money for 3x big bales and had horrible experience with insects, my rabbits got mites so cost me lots of money, time and hassle to get rid of them and cure all the bald patches on their fur etc.

Never again.

Maybe if you live in a country house and have lots of room to store it, and time to take it by small sections, shake it outside to remove all the dust and maybe steam it or freeze to make sure there's no mites or bugs, it is really much cheaper, but you invest your time and effort too.

Also a few times I've got really good hay buying by 20kg (40lbs) bales, very very good, but was maybe 3 times, then it was very mixed as I said.

I also tried different haybox stores and was sometimes okay sometimes not very good. In fact when you buy 5kg box it is not very cheap and when you buy 15 kg box it gets cheaper but it wasn't easy to manage, very messy also even from the same seller it was first time excellent and once it had insects and quality wasn't great.

Now back to the reputable brands with dust extracted they also sell by 2,5kg (5lbs) or jumbo packs 4kg so not bad and I know that hay was steamed and has no insects. Mites can be very hard to get rid of.

More expensive but you can actually train your rabbits not to waste a lot, when I first started toilet training etc I had hay in their toilet boxes as it is usually suggested and hay feeder over toilet box as well, which leads to lots of wasted hay, especially some rabbits just like to pull it all from feeder and pee on it and then they won't eat it and it all gets really stinky even over wood pellets so you have to clean and clean and clean and waste and waste and waste. Now I use different setups and tactics and there's very little of wasted hay thankfully, so you can also rethink your setup and depending on your rabbits and their personalities, their habits you can make less waste as well.

So if you got 5lbs (roughly 2,5kg) it depends how much they will eat and how much they will just soil and you will have to waste. If you manage to make them eat most of it with minimum wasted hay it can be good for 3-4 weeks (also if it's good quality hay and there's no dust), some hays my rabbits pick up every little piece of it, and some hays they leave a half of it. Thankfully they don't pee on hay anymore (except of Bernie and Harley) so it is not stinky at least but still no use.
Some hays are so tasty they eat them faster than others.
So it all depends.

You can also steam farm hay to make sure there's no mites but not always easy tbh.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! So right now I've been searching for a place to buy Orchard Hay without it being really expensive for a little hay. I get that animals cost money and I'm not against spending it, I just want to get the best deals on good quality hay. Orchard Hay Does anyone buy this hay and how long will the 5 pound box last two rabbits? Any other suggestions on where to buy Orchard Hay? Thanks everybunny!! 😊
I buy my hay from amazon. Standley is the name. I buy a 25-pound box for my 2 bunnies. It lasts me about 3-4 months. It stays fresh for that amount of time. The hay is clean and green with long stocks. It is about 42 dollars for 25lbs. I am not sure if they sell smaller amounts but it would not hurt to check them out. small pets select is good also. Here is their link: Rabbit Products. If you have farms near that sell hay that is also a good place to buy. It is usually much cheaper than buying from stores.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! I do have another question, do any of you have experience with growing your own hay? I've wanted to for awhile but have been worried about bugs or such getting in it. Its also hard to trust what you are going to get from places, so that was another reason I was considering it.

I'd recommend Small Pet Select hay for a good price !, but if you can't you should buy hay at a local farm or feed store (though they might have a little bit of other hays in it), most of the time hay there is very fresh and at a good selling point. Try not to buy hay from the pet store (only in emergencies),usually the hay there is pretty old and have been sitting there a long time, hay there is also very expensive for such a small bag.

The link to Small Pet Select (They also sell toys and other good stuff!) :
shop.smallpetselect.com

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! I do have another question, do any of you have experience with growing your own hay? I've wanted to for awhile but have been worried about bugs or such getting in it. Its also hard to trust what you are going to get from places, so that was another reason I was considering it.
I don't know about hay but I have grown grass in pots and my bunnies love it. I got the seeds on Amazon. I am not sure what kind of grass it is. I buy Standlee hay from amazon. I get their 25lb box which lasts about 4 to 5 months for 2 bunnies. The hay is fresh and green. The stalks are long and have a lot of the little flower heads which the bunnies love. The hay is very clean. There is no dust. My bunnies love this hay. It comes in a big box. 1605656984521.png1605657073553.png

Last edited:
Whenever I buy hay from a feeds tore, I insist on seeing it first. Sometimes they have old bales that have sat around for awhile. Other times they may not have gotten hay in recently. These are all questions to ask when getting from a feed store.

If you visually inspect it first and ask how recent it was harvested, then there is no reason to have any problems with the bales.

I don't know about hay but I have grown grass in pots and my bunnies love it. I got the seeds on Amazon. I am not sure what kind of grass it is. I buy Standlee hay from amazon. I get their 25lb box which lasts about 4 to 5 months for 2 bunnies. The hay is fresh and green. The stalks are long and have a lot of the little flower heads which the bunnies love. The hay is very clean. There is no dust. My bunnies love this hay. It comes in a big box. View attachment 51482View attachment 51483
This is a very good looking hay, my rabbits love this green hay as well, it is more expensive but they eat absolutely all of it.

Agree
Whenever I buy hay from a feeds tore, I insist on seeing it first. Sometimes they have old bales that have sat around for awhile. Other times they may not have gotten hay in recently. These are all questions to ask when getting from a feed store.

If you visually inspect it first and ask how recent it was harvested, then there is no reason to have any problems with the bales.
Agree with that, but when you buy online it is not possible unfortunately, you're lucky you can travel and collect a large bale, I am just jealous :)

If you have a Farmer Co op near you
It's good place to biuy hay and Straw.
They have good prices too

Seriously feed store. I went yesturday and got a whole bale for 31 dollars. It will last ages and if even if I don’t use it all it would still be way cheeper than buying the bags.

We got our most recent bales about 3€ per bale, and they're really great! All sorts of strands, both thin/thick and long/short. It's not so brilliant grass green as timothy, because it's a field/meadow hay, but my boys still love it. One bale lasts them about a month i'd say.

Latest posts

Back