What is Pre-Scrotal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
What is pre-scrotal? I couldnt find it on the internet :?

My rabbit, Achilles has been neutered, but he took almost 2 MONTHS to heal.

This is his photo a month after neuter :

moz-screenshot.jpg
p42201971.jpg

A few weeks later :

p4300027.jpg

Now :

p5040092-copy.jpg

A few experts said that my vet is using the same method to neuter cats/dogs. And he should use pre-scrotal method.

Can anyone explain about Pre-Scrotal? Thanx!:pray:

it looks like the vet made one incision above the penis and probably went in internally and removed the testicles; that actually was done with my male dog. much more invasive.
usually here the vets just take the testicle out of its sac (like peeling a grape) and leave the sac to dry up; it is not invasive.

it is good your bun recovered.
since you are in Malayasia I am not sure what kind ofvet you have access to. I will say that the vet must have used the correct anesthesia as your bun survived it.

and we're happy for that

All I know is that it looks healed now. I personally would ask for some other method if possible, and double check the anesthetic they use before having another of my bunnies go under the knife with that vet.

Thanx for all replies :pray:

This is my 3rd male. The other 2 males didn't had any problem with their post-neuter. Their wound completely healed in 2 weeks.

The neutering process was done in front of me. My vet is using injectable ketamine (mix with other anaesthesia, i forgot to look at the bottle). He made a small cut at the sac, around 1.5cm and took out the testicles, tied it before cut off the sperm duct. He reapeated the same method on the other testicle. But he didn't stitched up or glued the sacs because he said the skin would dry up and no need to stitch.

In the photos, it is actually one of his sacs. The other side healed nicely, but this side wasn't. The rounded-thing at the center is the duct. The sac was supposed to dry and covered the duct. But unfortunately, the sac was dried 'around' the duct. And it was infected.

I sent him to the same vet again. He gave me an antibiotic and surgical iodine with metrogyl to apply on the wound. Now the duct has sunken in.

But i feel a bit trauma to send my other males to neuter. I tried to find other vets around, but they seemed using the same method as my vet.

I have another 3 males to neuter :tears2:. Good vets (my friends' vets) are 5 to 6-hours driving from here. Long journey can cause stress to them.

If my vet stitched up the sacs, this problem will not happen isn't it? No if next time i need to send my other males there, i will ask the vet to stitch the sac. I will help, right?

Well I really misinterpreted that photo :)
didn't realize it was one side

To be honest I have never seen the procedure done and you seem to know the whole procedure that was done....
I' too would be concerned about going back to that vet ...but realize the diffiuclty of going 5-6 hrs unless you stayed with your friend and had all 3 males neutered at one time
here is a medi-rabbit printout of the simplest of the procedures

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/orchidectomy.PDF

Here where I live the vets use surgical glue on each testicular sac after the testicle is removed.

I was sitting in front of the surgery table. That was how i managed to witness the whole procedure :p.

I think now i know what does it mean by pre-scrotal.

Pre-scrotal = Only ONE incision at the cranial end of the scrotum. The vet will close the insicion by suture or glue the tissue. It is recommended to do several subcutaneous layers because rabbit will chew the suture.

My vet made one incision on each sac. Which means, 2 incisions made to complete the neutering. Their sacs are very soft tissue. After the vet cut the ducts, he 'tidy-up' the sacs and made sure the sacs covered the ducts inside. He said no need to suture the sacs as they will wrinkle/shrivel and will dry-up soon.

But in Achilles' case, the duct was (accidentally) exposed out and got infected.

From the PDF link u gave me, the deferent duct and the end of epididymis are tied/sutured separately. But my vet tied all the duct together before cut it off. Will it make any different?

I am not a vet so this out of my territiory
I think that it does make a difference because in our rabbits we never have any infections like you have described.
I am talking about shelter rabbits and hundreds of rabbits that have been neutered

if you wish you could post this on a rabbit group called etherbun. it deals only with medicalissues but does have a rabbit knowledgeable vetas a voluntary participant.

I did wrote to Etherbun and Housebun, but no reply :(

I will look for other vet until i find one.

Anyway, thanks for all info about Pre-Scrotal. Now i know the difference between Pre-Scrotal and normal procedure they done on cats.

Thanks again. Really appreciate it :)

Latest posts

Back