WHaT Is GOinG ON

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy101

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got one question about teddy. Why in the world does this he run around his cage at night and dawn. I cant even get enough sleep at night. Then he stats to chew the cage. I think that means that he wants to get out. But why. Every day from early 6:30 am to 9:00 pm he's out of the cage. I'm so confused right now. Any Answers?

The answer is pretty simple: rabbits are nocturnal animals. That means that they mostly sleep and rest at the day and come out to play and explore at night. Maybe consider giving your bunny some new cool toys and spend as much time with him as you can when he is out of the cage.

Or buns are free roam in our bedroom (Bunny proofed to the hilt. lol) and they like to lounge in the daytime and are most playful in the evenings. Or when they hear a craisin bag.) But even when we're trying to go to sleep they hop on the bed to both bounce on us and get some extra loving. Since our schedules allow it we indulge them (and we enjoy it, too).

So besides their diurnal nature I think he doesn't want to be caged and doesn't understand why he needs to be "locked up" when you're there. For some night activities, stuff fresh hay in a toilet paper tube and some favorite treats in a small paper bag crumpled up. These'll give him stuff to do and may cut back on the cage ruckus. But ours still occasionally do the bunny laps in the middle of the night regardless. We're so used to it we'll scritch 'em in our sleep. (Love seeing Jason snoring and petting a bunny simultaneously.)

Best of luck to you!

I just got one question about teddy. Why in the world does this he run around his cage at night and dawn.

It's in his nature!

Humans are diurnal: we're up going to school and working during the day and sleep at night.

Owls are nocturnal: they sleep during the day and spend the nights up hunting for food.

Rabbits are a bit different. They're crepuscular. This means they're most active during dawn and dusk, and sleep in the middle of the day and middle of the night. (The reason rabbits are like this is because they are a prey species. Being crepuscular maximizes their survival potential in the wild.)

Then he stats to chew the cage. I think that means that he wants to get out. But why. Every day from early 6:30 am to 9:00 pm he's out of the cage.

It means he wants out :) He's feeling active after 9pm and wants to do rabbit stuff, like run around, explore, and eat.

It's in his nature!

Humans are diurnal: we're up going to school and working during the day and sleep at night.

Owls are nocturnal: they sleep during the day and spend the nights up hunting for food.

Rabbits are a bit different. They're crepuscular. This means they're most active during dawn and dusk, and sleep in the middle of the day and middle of the night. (The reason rabbits are like this is because they are a prey species. Being crepuscular maximizes their survival potential in the wild.)

It means he wants out :) He's feeling active after 9pm and wants to do rabbit stuff, like run around, explore, and eat.
You're exactly right: I had it right in my head but somehow got my terminology mixed up between my brain and the keyboard. lol

Thank you all for the answers. I love teddy, so if that means that he wants out, I might let him be free ranged in the future .Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back