what is best to have please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannybobs

Reaction score
hi and just need a little advice please. I have 3 rabbits, a lionhead ( male) small lop ( female) and a monster grey female . They are all neutered and the honey monster ( Nellie) and lop ( Blossom) were a bonded pair but over a period of time introduced them to the lionhead ( Whiskers) who was alone after partner dying under the vets, getting neutered. they are all around 2 to 3 years old and lovely
my problem/concern is that the little lop is now very often on her own so thinking of slowly getting another one used to them as I feel very sorry for her. i appreciate it must be a small one as Nellie is very much the boss and may attack if another is as big as her
in your opinion, is it best to get a small neutered male or female?
or just leave them be and let her be on her own a lot ( does make me sad to see her sitting alone when the other 2 are cuddling and cleaning each other)
their home is big enough that I can make it into 2 as they are in an old aviary and shed, until used to each other
was thinking of asking the RSPCA if I could take my rabbits to meet one needing a re home but not sure they would allow that
many thanks

Trios aren't an easy accomplishment, so kuddos for having done so. If she is still getting a good amount of attention from the other 2, then it may be best to leave well enough alone. Pushing for a four-some could completely upset the current bonds and change or erase them. There's a (more remote) chance that all 4 would get along, but it could end up that current bonds are broken, or you still end up with a loner. In the case of multiples, the general consensus is that there should be no more than 1 male with the rest females.

Trying to have 2 separate pairs is a possibility but also with risk. It isn't likely (though is still possible) that the two pairs will be content to be living side-by-side but separated by fencing or such. It would be more likely to work if the 2 pairs are totally and completely separated from each other in sight and smell. Not sure if that is a possibility with what you've described. If you do attempt to have two completely separate pairs, then either a male or a female could potentially work with your girl.

I don't know if RSPCA allows you to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Perhaps someone more familiar with rabbit rescues in your country could chime in. I understand some rescues there will actually bond rabbits for people looking for such.

Here are some potential rescue places to consider or call if you choose to go that route:
https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rescues?searchDistance=20&searchPostcode=E4+7AP&recsPerPage=15

Any time you try and add a new bun to a group, anything is possible, and it may not work out. I had one doe that I tried to bond into a trio, but one female just couldn't get on with her no matter what bonding technique I tried. I ended up having to break them into two pairs.

If this isn't a possibility you want to deal with, like Blue Eyes said, probably best to leave the trio as is. Unless, you can find a rescue that will help you find a good match for the whole group. But even then there is still some risk the attempt to bond in a fourth could break up the trio. Group bonding can be tricky in this way, except when getting into larger groups of 5 or more.

I found that the larger the rabbit group was, the easier it was for rabbits to get along. There was always a bun somebun could snuggle with. But mine was a group of 6-7 buns. It's also important for them to have plenty of space for them to get away from one another when needed. Or no matter the size of the group, too small of a space could lead to problems.

If you think you still want to risk it, when finding the right companion for a bun, size usually isn't much of a factor. It mostly has to do with finding the right match of personalities. For example, two really moody girl buns will often clash, and not necessarily really dominant females. That was the case for my two problem buns. Even though both were moody sassy girls, when I split the group into two pairs, neither was the dominant bun in the pair.

Scroll down in link, for info on bonding groups.
https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

thank you both very much for your advice, i think I will leave well alone then as dont want to risk upsetting them even more. the run is very large and Blossom, the small female, does get on well with Whiskers, the male and she has learned to run away when Nellie gets in a strop with her ( usually if she gets near to the boy)

Latest posts

Back