What is Basil doing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonniemay

Basilbasie girl 🥕
Reaction score
Okay so I just got Basil a new litter box and today she started dragging blankets, socks, a wash cloth...anything she could get ahold of...she was even pulling her own hopefully loose fur out and I saw it in her mouth and went to remove it thinking she's going to choke on it..and I could tell that she didn't want me to take it from her...she then then hopped into her box and placed the fur there...this is new behavior...

Attachments

• 20201122_122551.jpg
    20201122_122551.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 13
Full blown false pregnancy. Well, if there wasn't a buck around 4 weeks ago.
My rabbits are pretty hormonal now too, can't tell how that makes sense, but whatever.

Preitler is right. When a rabbit is actually pregnant, they pull out their hair to create a nest for their babies.

She's never been around another rabbit other than when she was a baby..She is about 6 months old

So then it is definitely a false pregnancy- it happens at that age a lot. She will be fine in a week or so probably

Does she need any kind of vaccinations..she's never seen a vet..
Typcially, no. There are no regular vaccines given to pet rabbits in the US.

However, recently there has been an outbreak in the US of RHVD2. This disease is more widespread in places like the UK and Australia. In those places, vaccines for this are routinely given. In the US, that vaccine is difficult to come by. However there are some vets in CA that have been able to get the vaccine. You can read the following thread about the disease and then decide what you would like to do (if anything). Or you can discuss it with your vet.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/rhvd2-in-the-us-what-you-need-to-know.99131/
But there are no required vaccines for rabbits here.

Okay just made an appointment for Basil to be spayed on December 3rd..they said feed her and water normal but to skip breakfast and bring lunch..does this sound right..they spay/neuter rabbits..pigs..cats..and dogs..

Okay just made an appointment for Basil to be spayed on December 3rd..they said feed her and water normal but to skip breakfast and bring lunch..does this sound right..they spay/neuter rabbits..pigs..cats..and dogs..
No, that's not right, keep feeding her normally right up to when she goes in. List of rabbit vets: Vet List | House Rabbit Society

No, that's not right, keep feeding her normally right up to when she goes in. List of rabbit vets: Vet List | House Rabbit Society
The place is Pedley Square Veterinary Clinic in Riverside Ca..I asked the receptionist if they had bunnies that didn't make it and she said they are always fine...I will just let her eat normally.

I would find out if the instructions to fast your rabbit came from the vet or the receptionist. If the vet said this, find a different vet as it means that they aren't very experienced with rabbits. Rabbits should NEVER be fasted before a surgery(or ever really). First, rabbits can't vomit. Second, it's essential they are always eating to keep their digestive tract moving. Not eating means a digestive slowdown, which puts them at risk of developing GI stasis, a potentially fatal condition in rabbits. So fasting a rabbit is not necessary and could put their health at risk.

If it's not the vet saying this but the receptionist making the mistake, then the vet may be ok, but should at least get their receptionist on track with the correct pre surgical procedure for rabbits.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Often the receptionist will just repeat what they're used to with cats and dogs but do not fast your rabbit. The same thing happened to me but I knew not to fast him. And the actual vet actually asked me when I went in if I made sure he continued to eat before bringing him in. So, she was knowledgeable but the receptionist was not. (Good thing I always do my own research first).

Yes- I literally just had this experience- I made an appointment for my bunny to be spayed about a week ago, and I was given a form that had the preparation guide, and it said that you should fast your rabbit from 7 PM the night before, and I did not think that this was right, so yesterday I called and asked to speak to the vet, who thereby told me how the form was wrong, it was a general spaying form, and in the future, they will add a note that says that if you have a rabbit DO NOT fast it, so you should try asking them that, maybe you will fix it for good.

Okay thanks everyone for all the great information lm going to call and speak with the vet and ask a few questions this morning

Latest posts

Back