What I spend a Year

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
So on March 8 I bought 3 bags of 45# litter and 2 50# of pellets. This week I used the last bag of litter and and just opened the second bag of pellets. I spent $50.41.

The pellets were 16.99 a bagand the litter was $6.79 a bag. I am thinking that since the pellets lasted 2mnths I have 2mnths before I need to buy.

So I am going to buy $50 worth of litter which would be about 7 bags on Friday or Saturday. That should last 4-5mnths.

Than when I need pellets buy $50 worth which would be 3 bags which should last 6mnts.

Hay is about a bale of month which is $10.

So I would spend about $320 for the year on pellets, litter and hay. :thumbup

I don't even want to calculate what I spend a year on litter and hay a year. I really wish I had a place nearby that sells the cheap wood pellets. I've heard people buying them at 40lbs for $7 and it jut doesn't exist in the city. I'd have to drive out 40 miles to buy some and by that time I already spent $35 on a tank of gas. :(

you shouldnt keep your rabbit with the wood pellets.. it isnt good for them at all. i had a friend who used that and it killed her three bunnies :(

Hmmm.

Well there are 3 vaccinations every year for both my buns, so that is already £170.
Then I buy a medium-sized pack of pellets perhaps every 2months? So that is another £60 approx a year.
Then litter- the litter I buy is a very small packet, and costs me about £7, but I mix it with shredded newspaper to try and make it last longer. I need to buy new litter perhaps every 3 months or so.
Hay costs me £5.95 a whole bale (I can't lift it) from a farm down the road :D, and it's really wonderful, sweet gorgeous hay. I buy about 3 bales a year, I would say. Then I buy packets of Timothy hay for them to eat, but they seem to go for this other hay instead hehe.
I buy veggies for them, because I think it's nicer than just carrot peelings etc., so I generally spend perhaps £5-10 a week on veggies, depending on what I buy and what is in season.

Not to mention toys, other vet vists (which are at least once a year lol),etc.

So on estimation (with one general health check visit a year for each) of my yearly output is about £680

Although this year there has been an extra about £400 for their new shed :D but my wonderful parents paid all that.

But they are all worth it! :)

Jen

butsy wrote:
you shouldnt keep your rabbit with the wood pellets.. it isnt good for them at all. i had a friend who used that and it killed her three bunnies :(
Some shavings are bad. What a lot of us use is a pelleted wood which is safe.

butsy wrote:

It depends on the ones you use, the ones your friend had probably had chemicals on them like petrol to make them burn. That is what killed her bunnies ;) Tons of people on here use them with no problems. You have to get one with no chemicals. Not sure what you call them, someone who uses them will probably come on and tell you all about it. :)

I keep meaning to start recording what I spend on the bunnies/pets at the start of the month. I am definitely going to start on the 1st of May :p Every little thing that is bought for them is being recorded. I will let you know next May what I spent :p

I'm afraid to know what I spend. I know I spent almost $4,000 on vet bills alone last year for our foster rabbits. My own rabbits never visited the vets once.

Just this year so far (well since September 7th of 2009) I have spent $500+. Thats JUST on feed, shavings, hay and new cages..one new rabbit in there.

On average...oh, I don't know how much I spend yearly, as I haven't ever really totaled it up, lol. Should do that.

I spend about $35 every time I buy feed/hay, and shavings, and that is going to either go up or stay the same since I'm hopefully switching shavings to just wood pellets. :) Wood pellets are about $4 per bag, and I'll buy in bulk.

I buy about every 6 weeks, and there's 48 weeks in a year...so I spend about $280 yearly. Doesn't seem too bad... but I think it's a little more than that, considering I've already spent $500+, and only $260 of that was cages, and $15 was for a rabbit. :p

Emily

jcottonl02 wrote:
Hmmm.

Well there are 3 vaccinations every year for both my buns, so that is already £170.

Although this year there has been an extra about £400 for their new shed :D but my wonderful parents paid all that.

But they are all worth it! :)

Jen

Curious what vaccinations are required in the UK? Here in the US (or at least in California) buns do not require any. Sorry to hijack the thread.

As for my expense - I get hay free from the shelter group I volunteer with (use that as litter and food) Pellets at $15every month and half so probably $120 in food (not counting veggies as bothhumans and buns share these); pet insurance is $18 a month for both buns (curiously the kittens health insurance is $34 a month - go figure).. so in total $350.

In the UK, Myxomatosis is required either every 6 months or yearly, depending on whether you live in what is regarded as a 'high-risk' area. The vets informed everyone about a year ago that this area was becoming more 'high-risk'. Since then it has decreased, but I get it done every 6 months just to be sure.
VHD vaccinations are required yearly too.

Both these diseases are most likely fatal if caught- VHD can kill within 24hours of catching it, before you even know what happened. They are nasty, nasty, nasty.

You don't have vaccinations there because the Cottontail and other common buns in the US aren't succeptible to the diseases, so it doesn't spread around as easily. In Europe, and Australia, the European rabbit is succeptible to both, and can be easily spread.
Every vet here highly recommends vaccinating- you have to be an idiot not to, if you live in Europe, in my humble opinion.
In Australia I believe that the Myxomatosis vaccination is prohibited- to try and reduce the population of wild rabbits.

Jen

The most I've spent in a year (when we were showing extensively) was $10,000 :shock:

Luckily, there were a lot of expenses that I could write off on my taxes!

I'm too afraid to even go there. I've been meaning to start keeping track, but OMG, I really don't want to know how much I spend. Between all my animals, it has to be over $1000, but that doesn't include any mishaps that require the vet... Hmmm....in the last year, I've had 1 dog neutered, 3 cats spayed, a turtle in twice for a respiratory infection and one for a shell issue, a cat that required stitches, plus shots for dogs and cats and just well checks for everyone else...Thank God I get a discount (not for the reptiles, they don't go to the vet I work for), but I still don't want to think about it. Oh, I have to start keeping track.

I pay about $170 a year for hay, food, and litter. The majority of that cost is the fact that I only feed Oxbow, if I fed just the big bag feed store stuff, I would only pay about $80. I'm afraid to tally up my vet bills. I'm much better off being ignorant to the total amount, lol. But I mean, after 10 months of regular vet bills and 2 surgeriesfor Zoey and 4 months of regular vet visitsfor Naomi, I am sure it was pretty substantial last year.

Latest posts

Back