What I spend a Year

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spend about $400 a year on the 4 bunnies for pellets, hay, veggies, litter, toys, and any extra supplies.

My foster bun has added to that a bit due to a neuter, toys and other cage accessories, hay, and litter. I also need to buy him a bag of pellets this weekend.

Marlin needs to go to the vet on Friday to figure out his teeth issues and it appears like he might have to have his front teeth removed, so that is going to add up this year's bunny total.

Hrm...I also redid Marlin & Brody's NIC cages a few months ago and bought some new stuff (like rugs) for in the bun room.

Looks like this year might be over $1000 because of the foster & Marlin's vet bills.

When I first adopted Kirby I kept pretty meticulous count of expenditures. It was easy with one bun.

When I bought Toby, the accounting became more "fudgey" and often was missing items. I had to laugh when I looked at the spreadsheet for Toby. The first item on the list was "Toby". LOL

I should get back on this ball. It is always good to know and keep it all in perspective. I estimate that since November 2008, I have probably spent well over $3000 (very conservative guess on my part) on my bunnies. I only recently got my 3rd, so the bulk of it was for two buns. This number includes vet visits, pet insurance, pellets, food, litter, hay, and to some extent, toys as well.

I almost don't want to figure it out - it depends upon if I have growing babies or not.

I'll put it this way - last week I spent $107 at one store - plus another $20 (approx) at another store - and that was food alone - no litter. Oh - that did include a bale of hay.

I'm hoping that lasts the full two weeks. I'm pretty sure most of the rabbits will have at least two weeks of food (the Hollands will have more than that since they have their own bag) - but the flemmies might need another bag before the two weeks is up.

Then again - having a "herd" of flemish giants - along with growing kits...gets expensive.

Hmm... I just got into rabbits and with starting my rabbitry (which is building up to be huge in my life lol) I'm at about $889 with food, hay, cages, toys, purchases of the rabbits, and vet bills/meds. lol wow that's a lot now that I'm looking at the big picture. Plus, the year isn't close to being done.:shock:

Every two months I will spend

11.99 On pellets/25 pound of Purina green bag
5 on a bag of hay/50 gallon trash bag of hay
8.99 on litter/40 pounds of horse stall bedding
For the bunnies.
100 for toys a year
The other stuff I can not calculate.

Based on that its about 256 plus all the other stuff. but there cost are going way down soon as they just got a hundred bucks worth of new toys. The still have a couple of toys coming in and they are getting new mats.

So they will not need anything tell Jessi Birthday and they will start getting all their new stuff on their birthdays from now on that is it. Oh X-Mas to of course thats new toys 3 times a year that enough for me. 2 birthdays and x-mas.

I started a excel sheet to see how much I spend tell Dec.

juliew19673 wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
Hmmm.

Well there are 3 vaccinations every year for both my buns, so that is already £170.

Although this year there has been an extra about £400 for their new shed :D but my wonderful parents paid all that.

But they are all worth it! :)

Jen

Curious what vaccinations are required in the UK? Here in the US (or at least in California) buns do not require any. Sorry to hijack the thread.
The vaccines are not required, it's a choice. Myxi vaccine does not protect100% and a bun can still catch it and still suffer and there is never a full recovery anyway. VHD can be expensive but if you shop around you can pay as little a £3 per rabbit (as opposed to £15-20 with some vets)

Basic costs per month on 21 hutches and more rabbits (if breeding season) then I spend about £40-50 on feed. £20 on shavings. Get hay at cost but still spend about £20 plus. Total feed/hay/bedding per month about £90.

Saving furiously for another shed but don't seem to be getting anywhere!

Pellets: Korr and Penelope get Oxbow BB/T. A 10 pound bag lasts them about 10 weeks and right now costs $15, but used to cost $22. Lillian and Ginny are on a feed store brand which was $15 for 50 pounds. I figure that will last about 5-6 months. So about $135 on pellets per year, but that should go down to about $105.
Hay: I bought 4 bales at the end of August for $4 each, or $16 total. I am almost done the 3rd one. So I spend about $16-20 a year on hay.
Veggies: I probably spend about $5 per week. It would be at least $100 per year, probably more.
Litter: A bag costs about $6.50. Since September I have gone through almost 4 bags, so about $25.
Vet bills: MY vet charges $70 for an exam, but give a $10 discount if you bring 2 at the same time. Regular check ups would be about $200 a year. Other vets bills are more. Last year I probably spent $150-200 for Sean plus the cremation costs and getting his paw print done which was about $200 for those.
I don't usually spend a lot on other things, maybe $20-50 pet year depending on what it is. I have spent $30 on new carriers for agility. I have spent about $60 in the last year building agility equipment.
So in the last year I have spent about $700. This does not include the cost to get Lillian which did include her spay.

I'm not going to try and add up what I spend on the bunnies.

Someone a few years ago made a Spreed sheet with all the calculation on it, I used that for a while then I stopped shortly after the passing of 2 of bunnies. I don't remember who posted it.

I just looked at my records, and for food, bedding and hay alone, I have spent $276.76 since September 7th. The good thing is that I'm on the student rewards program at my feed store, so I get a refund whenever, usually before fair. Right now my refund would be $41.51. Not too bad....thats enough for the parking passes, gate passes, and I think even some food for county fair. :) And it will be more by then, too.

Emily

Latest posts

Back