What/how often do you give veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
I have been giving my buns green leaf lettuce every night for his vegetables, but I was curious to know if you are supposed to give them a variety of different vegetables or should I stick with the green leaf lettuce? If you are supposed to mix them up, what do you give your bunny and how often do you switch it up?

Variety is good! There is an informative article here:
http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

I tend to be a bit lazy and rather than offering a variety every day, I offer one type for several days and then a different type for several days, etc.

In the winter, when my herb garden is dead, I tend to switch between green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, cilantro, and romaine. In the 'not-winter' months, I add in lots of basil and mint (which grows prolifically). Occasionally, I throw in something else like kale, parsley, mustard greens, or green tops of carrots.

I have been giving my buns green leaf lettuce every night for his vegetables, but I was curious to know if you are supposed to give them a variety of different vegetables or should I stick with the green leaf lettuce? If you are supposed to mix them up, what do you give your bunny and how often do you switch it up?

You can't just give one vegetable everyday, your rabbit is going to get deficiencies. Vegetables should be given everyday and represent about 8% of the rabbit's weight if you are also giving some pellets (2-3% of the rabbit's weight). Ideally you should give 2/3 of leafy greens and 1/3 of other vegetables, with 4 - 5 different vegetables everyday. I go to the market and buy a bunch once a week, which I supplement with things from my tiny garden when I can (in this season, my garden doesn't have much to offer ^^').
You have to introduce vegetables one by one to avoid upsetting your bunny's stomach. Here is a list containing some vegetables you can give (I'll add Jerusalem artichoke and Parsnip which my rabbits love) :
http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables/

Different veggies. I give veggies morning and night.
As to what kind, my bunny likes romaine, arugula, kale, cilantro, and parsley are her favorites.

I have been giving him pellets in the morning and his veggies at night. And of course unlimited hay. I had no idea you were supposed to mix up the veggies though. Poor baby has been missing out on all these other vegetables that I'm sure he would love.

Do you think it would be ok to change them up every few days like the other ladies do? Maybe mix a few different things together, instead of just plain green leaf, then change to another combo after 3-4 days?

My bunny has pellets everyday. I do (usually twice a day) give my bunny herbs and veggies such as celery, mint and dill

I will go to the store as soon as I get off and get him set up. I am going to slowly integrate it into his green leaf though, so that I don't mess his stomach up. Thank you for the advice. I am glad I asked or it would have been a long road with nothing but green leaf in this bunnys future lol. Thanks!

This explains how to introduce different greens safely.

If the pellets you are feeding are healthy pellets, it isn't likely bunny will have deficiencies in his diet. Those who feed no pellets at all must be much more diligent in offering a wide variety of greens to ensure there are no vitamin deficiencies. A small amount of pellets daily means that is not likely to occur.

Bunnies do enjoy a variety of greens so any (gradual) additions will be welcome.

10 in the morning and 10 at night. The AM regimen is parsley, flat leaf parsley (Italian), cilantro, and Romaine lettuce with a small bit of apple. The evening selection is the same except for dandelion in place of lettuce (Romaine) and a small piece of carrot. Some times I add a little bit of celery leaf or any other greens left over from seasonal cooking--carrot, etc.

I give a heaping, dinner-sized plate of ~5 different veggies twice a day to my pair.

This week, it's red romaine, endive, dandelion, spinach, parsely, cilantro, and kale. I throw in a baby carrot for each, and sometimes a couple small pieces of apple. Oh, and I got a little thing of broccoli that they seem to really like... it was on sale and I thought I'd try it out.

Jeez, I think my buns eat better than I do...

So, I went to the store and got spinach, mustard greens, Kale and parsley to start. He was getting pellets in the morning and a big plate of green lettuce with slices I take off of a carrot with my potato peeler. (It looks fancy lol). When I went to introduce the new greens, I put about 3/4 green lettuce and other 1/4 with the new kale. I want to wean him, but he basically just picked at it. It looks like he ate most of the green lettuce out of it and a little bit of the kale. Then tonight I did the same thing, but instead of kale, I used the spinach. He hasn't touched it at all. Is it possible that he doesn't like anything but the green lettuce? I hope his tummy isn't upset. Should I just stick with the green leaf? I saw one of you said if he gets pellets, he won't be defecient? He does get good quality pellets. It's just the plain pellets, Not the kind that has nuts and things mixed in.

Might be a good idea to read that link I gave earlier on how to introduce greens. You already know your bunny like lettuce. To introduce kale, just give him a bit of kale. He may or may not eat it. With your first try, he ate a little. That's great. The next day offer some kale again (nothing else new!!). Just a bit of kale without lettuce. See how he does. It isn't just a matter of him liking it (which may take several introductions before he decides how much he likes it). So long as he eats a bit of kale each day, just keep offering increasing amounts of kale. If he eats it and doesn't have any change in poos, then that is now a second green to add to his list of tolerated greens. The idea here is not to offer anything other than kale during the, say, 5-7 days of introduction of kale.

After that is done, then you can switch to trying spinach. The reason you don't want to offer one new green on one day and another on the next day is that... if he does have any reaction, you won't know which green (kale or spinach) is the cause of the reaction.

During the greens introduction period, only offer one new green at a time and each new green intro should last several days (provided it is being tolerated).

Rabbits can be picky and it can take several tries with a new food before they decide to try it. So don't give up. Keep offering the same green multiple times.

Blue eyes, I am sorry I don't know how, but I completely missed the link. I will go check it out now. He does like the spinach and I will keep with the spinach now for a few days and increase amounts like you said. I really wish I would have read that before I started, because it sounds like I am going about this all wrong. Bunny is doing good now, so I don't think I caused any damage luckily. I will hold off on any of the other new greens I got him and introduce them like you suggested. Thank you so much!

Ours gets two servings a day. The menu varies, but the staples are spring greens, kale, coriander, basil, mint, parsley, watercress, pak choi, and sweet peppers. He didn't like dill and butternut squash.

Dm0f1li.jpg

Latest posts

Back