What health issues (if any) has your bunny faced?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMelody

Reaction score
We lost our precious girl suddenly a month ago to stasis/possible hair blockage. She was only 9 months old and we were extremely careful with her diet and care, so this was a devastating shock to say the least. The only thing that cheers me up is the thought of bringing home another bun to love, however I’m extremely apprehensive and scared. Bunnies are so fragile and seem to have a lot of health issues, be it stasis, dental problems, etc.

I’m curious to hear experiences from other bunny owners about their current and past bunnies’ health. What issues (if any) have your bunnies faced? How long have your bunnies lived?

The large majority of my rabbits have never faced any health issues.
I have one here with a tumor on his testicle but he is 10 years old and too old to be neutered (he was used for breeding up until he was about 6 or 7 years old).
I have one that didn't eat her pellets for a couple weeks but she is doing fine now; I think the stress of moving caused that.
I have one that was attacked by a cat when he was 8 days old and escaped his cage, but he recovered without any intervention.

Besides those three; my 14 other rabbits have never had any health issues nor gone through any sort of stasis. Of the hundreds of rabbits Ive owned I've only lost one rabbit to stasis/bloat (and she was a 6-7 year old britannia petite; that's pretty old for that breed). I've only had two with genetic teeth issues; and one whose teeth grew back wrong after pulling an incisor out, but my vet and I were able to correct it. Rabbits aren't as fragile as a lot of people think; though I think the high veggie content diet that the HRS pushes contributes a lot to GI stasis. Mine are fed a pellet only diet.

(edit: I've faced a lot of other health issues including e cuniculi, ringworm, pinworms, conjuctivitis, fungal infections, sore hocks, conjuctivitis, ear mites, spina bifida, dwarfism, dystocia, mastitis, abcesses, hernias, broken legs, heat stroke, glaucoma etc but thats over literally hundreds of rabbits. Overall each individual animal is quite healthy, far less health problems than any dog or cat ive owned)

Last edited:
Oh also, edit: I forgot another one of mine does have cryptorchidism, but that doesn't really affect his quality of life... just means I can't use him for breeding.

When I started with rabbits 2012 in 14 out of 15 died of Myxo.
There were about 4-5 bouts of Stasis or fur block over the years that required hand feeding and other measures, I might have over reacted sometimes, but i don't take a chance.
There were single cases of ear and fur mites.
Magda had runny eyes, nothing helped, it got somewhat better when I kept her daughter, Chantal, with her, she helped cleaning. I think Magda died of cancer at age 7. Chantal now lives with her daughter Ruth.
My free raom house bunny, Herr Hase, 6yo, has athrosis in his hip, quite likley because of a fall. Has some troubles with walking and gets pain meds daily.
This spring Red had an accidential pregnancy at age 7 after being retired for two years, had a kit stuck. Can't praise my vet enough for picking up the phone on a weekend and performing an emergency spay, which went well although they were not optimistic.

But that's it. Not much, compareed to a friends dog which must have bought the vet a decent car by now.

Attachments

• Schwarze krank2.JPG
    Schwarze krank2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back