What Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
So my rabbit has been eating timothy hay since I got him (he was 2 months, he is now 1 year). Timothy hay is quite expensive here though. It is about $30 dollars for a bag that will last 1 rabbit maybe 6 months. Can I switch him over to timothy grass hay that is for horses, or is that not the same thing as timothy hay for rabbits? What other hays are safe for them? I think orchard hay is fine, but can that replace timothy hay for good?
Thanks for all of your help! (Underneath is a link to the Timothy Grass Hay I would buy. Please read the description)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-timothy-grab-go-compressed-bale?cm_vc=-10005

That hay is the exact hay I use! The only problem I find with it is that I don't know how to store it! I bought a bale back in the beginning of August and I just got through half the bale. Bugs loves it which is a big plus. Horse hay is the exact same hay as hay sold specifically for rabbits.

So my rabbit has been eating timothy hay since I got him (he was 2 months, he is now 1 year). Timothy hay is quite expensive here though. It is about $30 dollars for a bag that will last 1 rabbit maybe 6 months. Can I switch him over to timothy grass hay that is for horses, or is that not the same thing as timothy hay for rabbits? What other hays are safe for them? I think orchard hay is fine, but can that replace timothy hay for good?
Thanks for all of your help! (Underneath is a link to the Timothy Grass Hay I would buy. Please read the description)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-timothy-grab-go-compressed-bale?cm_vc=-10005
dear theo,-yes,-find your nearest farm supply store,get a 50-100lb.bale of timothy,orchard,grasses,--but donot ask for hay-you will get bedding for farm animals..yellow straw hay,-we,ll that's what I got,learned the hard way -,hay is just a general term..we have compressed bales here about $15.{50lb.}--I use it for critters hay bins,poop boxes,bedding-,everything-they seem to know the difference..the important thing to stress here is rabbits are strictly herbivoures-{non digestible fiber}-timothy is desired because it is highest in non digestible fiber,then quality pellets for vitamins,and digestible food,then some treats,,-sincerely james waller

If you have high humidity, it's not advisable to store hay in plastic as it can cause the hay to mold. You want the hay to have good air circulation and to be stored somewhere that critters can't contaminate it. In a cotton bag or open top box of some sort, indoors is the best option if at all possible.

If you have high humidity, it's not advisable to store hay in plastic as it can cause the hay to mold. You want the hay to have good air circulation and to be stored somewhere that critters can't contaminate it. In a cotton bag or open top box of some sort, indoors is the best option if at all possible.
Thanks for the advice JBun :). I might leave it open to air so it doesn't mold. The only thing is if I leave it open to air my kittens might sleep on it. They (the kittens) have taken care of all of the other critters so they (the kittens) are the only critters that are a problem. I can't bring the hay inside because of allergies :(. Thanks for the help though!

Latest posts

Back