What effect does Alder wood have on rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDM

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site and fairly new to rabbit ownership, I have 2 dwarf bunnies named Dingle and Cinnabun. I was recently working with some alder wood, and one of the buns ate some of the shavings. I have not seen any ill effects, but I just recently read that alder is toxic to buns and I'm really worried about it. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

What toxins? As far as I know alder is rather rich in tannins and has some salicin in the bark, so it's not really good food, but imho nothing that can knock a bunny out of its boots.

If you start to read what's toxic on the internet (too many with no clue put lists there) you can get pretty paranoid and start thinking the whole botany is lurking out there just to kill your rabbit, but actually it's more the other way round. It's really not easy to poison a rabbit, and they know pretty well how much of some stuff they can stomach.

I don't think some shavings of alder wood have the potential to cause any harm.

What toxins? As far as I know alder is rather rich in tannins and has some salicin in the bark, so it's not really good food, but imho nothing that can knock a bunny out of its boots.

If you start to read what's toxic on the internet (too many with no clue put lists there) you can get pretty paranoid and start thinking the whole botany is lurking out there just to kill your rabbit, but actually it's more the other way round. It's really not easy to poison a rabbit, and they know pretty well how much of some stuff they can stomach.

I don't think some shavings of alder wood have the potential to cause any harm.

Thanks for the reply, I just read on a few different sites that alder is toxic to rabbits, but did not offer any other info, and being a fairly new rabbit parent, it doesn't take much to make me worry.

Latest posts

Back