What does your family and friends think about your relationship with your rabbit(s)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
A lot of my family and friends think it's kinda strange that I picked a rabbit over a dog.(a more traditional choice).

They just don't understand how I can be so close to my rabbit.

They are shocked to find out I spent close to grand on Bagel(my last rabbit) for a vet visit. They balk at the thought of me getting my current rabbit Peanut fixed at a cost of over six hundred dollars next month.

How about you?

People think I'm nuts and totally don't get it. I love my buns like they are my children. I talk about them and show people pictures all the time. I have spent a lot of money on vet bills and giving them the best of everything. I figure they are still cheaper than human children :p

larryng wrote:
A lot of my family and friends think it's kinda strange that I picked a rabbit over a dog.(a more traditional choice).

They just don't understand how I can be so close to my rabbit.

They are shocked to find out I spent close to grand on Bagel(my last rabbit) for a vet visit. They balk at the thought of me getting my current rabbit Peanut fixed at a cost of over six hundred dollars next month.

How about you?

I balk at that too! I'd never pay that much. I love my rabbit, but if he needed vet work over a couple of hundred, I wouldn't pay it.

That being said - I think a lot of of the confusion comes because people simply don't know what kind of pets rabbits can be. Most people have the mindset that they are like hamsters - you know, easy low maintenance, not very intelligent, not able to make bonds, like cats dogs, etc.

I have to confess I spent over a grand trying to save Cinderella and after she passed we adopted Sophie within days (we were worried about Houdini passing from grief). So we had to get her spayed, another $400. We had to start over on the pet savings fund, but at least with their savings account we don't ever have to skimp on care based on money. I feel very fortunate to be in this kind of position.

I pay over $300 each for my dog's yearly vet visits (which is over $600 total for just the basic yearly hum drum stuff). But that also includes heartworm medicine, heartworm tests, and then of course their basic yearly shots. This doesn't include the $300 I had to pay at Christmas when one of my dogs decided to sample a Christmas ornament (thankfully it didn't have the metal hook in it!I shudder to think!).

Our vets here usually run a LOT cheaper than some of the prices I see online. In July I'm really going to have a scary vet bill. One of my dogs is going for his yearly usual, but then he is also going to get microchipped AND get a cyst removed. If you hear somebody crying, just ignore it. It will be me after I get the vet bill. :laugh:

I am going to treat my rabbit the same as I do my dogs though. If he/she needs medical care then I'll just suck it up and pay for it! What else can ya do? :wink

ArdenBunny wrote:

In July I'm really going to have a scary vet bill.  One of my dogs is going for his yearly usual, but then he is also going to get microchipped AND get a cyst removed.  If you hear somebody crying, just ignore it.  It will be me after I get the vet bill.  :laugh:

I am going to treat my rabbit the same as I do my dogs though.  If he/she needs medical care then I'll just suck it up and pay for it!  What else can ya do?  :wink

I agree....I'm Peanut's Dad.......I gotta go what I got to do.

My family always thought I was "pet crazy" and "had too many", which turned out to mean anything more than 1 pet total. Over the years I've accepted how they feel, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or give it any additional thought. I don't live with my parents anymore, and my house is always clean when they visit so they don't really have much of a say in my home life.

As far as pet bills; I keep the number of pets I have limited so in an emergency I have the funds to spend. For instance if I fell in love with another, say, rabbit tomorrow, no matter how attached I get I personally consider "Do I have the funds in my account right now to take this cute fella to the vet in the next 48 hours if necessary?" It goes from there.

My dog Troy broke his leg 3 or 4 years ago doing agility. He shattered his back leg spirally. Start to finish that leg cost me $12,000. Would I spend it again? Yeah.

Would I spend that to save any of my rabbit's lives if they broke their leg, etc? Yeah. But it comes down to quality of life. Troy had a good prognosis of being able to use his leg again. If one of my bun's shattered a leg and it was a very small chance of using it, I'd probably have the leg taken off instead, or get a bunny wheel chair.

If I look into my pet's eyes and see that fight and want to go on, yeah I'd spend it. It's just money. When I'm old and gray and thinking back on my life I hope to god I don't think about money I've "lost" or "wasted" but the friendships I've gained through my beloved pets.

We spent over $800 at Xmas for Benjamin and lost him, $600 for Harley in the next couple of months and then lost him. Do I regret it, no just the outcome. Would and probably will have to do it again. My rabbits have always been my life line after the stress of the job, kids and life. I love them and spoil them hopelessly. They have all been inside rabbits, with access to the whole house, a huge yard and sleep in our bedroom. Some have even spent part of the night snuggled in bed, especially if sick or cold. My family and friends all think I am excentric, but who cares. Len of course says he knows the pecking order, rabbits 1st, then grandkids and then him. I just laugh, probably because it is true. Great having a husband that is easy going.

Samara wrote:
My family always thought I was "pet crazy" and "had too many", which turned out to mean anything more than 1 pet total. Over the years I've accepted how they feel, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or give it any additional thought. I don't live with my parents anymore, and my house is always clean when they visit so they don't really have much of a say in my home life.

As far as pet bills; I keep the number of pets I have limited so in an emergency I have the funds to spend. For instance if I fell in love with another, say, rabbit tomorrow, no matter how attached I get I personally consider "Do I have the funds in my account right now to take this cute fella to the vet in the next 48 hours if necessary?" It goes from there.

My dog Troy broke his leg 3 or 4 years ago doing agility. He shattered his back leg spirally. Start to finish that leg cost me $12,000. Would I spend it again? Yeah.

Would I spend that to save any of my rabbit's lives if they broke their leg, etc? Yeah. But it comes down to quality of life. Troy had a good prognosis of being able to use his leg again. If one of my bun's shattered a leg and it was a very small chance of using it, I'd probably have the leg taken off instead, or get a bunny wheel chair.

If I look into my pet's eyes and see that fight and want to go on, yeah I'd spend it. It's just money. When I'm old and gray and thinking back on my life I hope to god I don't think about money I've "lost" or "wasted" but the friendships I've gained through my beloved pets.

All of this. I have two dogs, and I am getting one rabbit. Then I am done. I actually have an emergency credit card. The credit card is used ONLY for the purpose of emergency vet visits. I have not had to use it yet, and I have had it for about three years. But, I would never have more pets than I could afford. One of my dogs has the MDR1 genetic mutation, whichis a genetic disorder that means a LOT of normal animal medicines are toxic to him. He also does poorly when going under for surgery (VERY poorly).

So, when deciding on ONE rabbit I took into account that I have two dogs, one of which is pretty expensive vet wise. I'm also overly picky about the dog food and treats I give so nothing for my dogs is really cheap.

Bring it ooooonnnnnn bunneh! :bunnydance:

That's another reason I am waiting so long for a rabbit, besides doing research. I know the July vet bill is going to kill me, and I want to have money saved up for my rabbit's spay/neuter way before I even get it.

Hmmm honestly I don't think they think much of it. They know I am a big animal lover, which I get from my mom. Hahah actually my mom was not surprised at all that I adopted Harvey from my friend. Tho she'd rather not hear much about the reptiles haha (but I think that's more of the ick factor most people get with reptiles).

My one friend doesn't care much for rabbits as pet, but thinks Harvey is cute. I had a friend over the other day who's moving to China and she fell in love with him.

We are first time bunny owners, got Dilly in January. Actually, it is my first pet, besides a stint that lasted 6 months when I was a toddler and don't even remember. Had to get rid of a dog because my brother was allergic.
Anyway, we got a rabbit because our building doesn't allow dogs and we are both alergic to cats. My wife brought up a bunny and it was the best thing that we ever did!!! Seriously. We fell in love with her the day that we brought her home, Dilly is a 2 year old lop. She is like our daughter and we give her so much love and we get so much love in return. My parents thought we were kind of crazy at first because we always talked about her and sent pics, but all it took for them to realize our craziness was meeting her a few times. Now they are in love with her and wish that they could see her more and always ask about her.

My family members are animal freaks (We have 4 horses, 3 dogs, a cat, 2 bunnys, and 2 very prego goats with more animals on the way...although, I'm the only one that's interested in anything other than the horses [2 of which are mine]) and while they don't really get the whole rabbit thing (my mom and youngest middle sister do) they do support it. My friends? They do the same but they also help out when I need it :) I'm really lucky to be surrounded by people that, even if they don't agree or 'get it' they completely 100% support it :) Even if they do think I'm crazy *laughs*

I hear it everyday, you needs get rid of those rabbits. And the dog and cats bc they think a person isnt capable of having young kids and a cat. But i cant do anything right to anyones opinions and expectations so i quit trying. It still hurts that i get put down for them though

I hate it too. No matter how much I push my extended family to let us live our lives, it still hurts that they think we have "too many". Who are they to define it, anyway? Don't they get that we get so tired of hearing it every time we see them?

And they wonder why I don't call, heh.

I have 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 ferrets, and 4 rabbits. Our house is always clean, the animals healthy, and we make use of all 3 floors. How is that too many?

Rabba Rabba Rabba!!!!

I don't really care what anyone thinks and yes, for the most part I prefer animals over humans. I do limit the pets we have because I know I can only take care of so many properly and some would just not fit our life style otherwise we might have a zoo.

My husband just smiles which is wonderful. He likes animals although he is more the type to take them in when they show up than to actively seek them out. My ex did not take care of the pets and was not involved with them but did nothing but complain and we never had more than a couple at a time and mostly small animals.

We have 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 newt and 1 bunny.

I dont get how peole can judge what your capable of caring for..my parents have 3 cats and my sisters dog. My mom blows tons of money eating out and drinking and i keep mh opinions to myself. Pets are heslthy, and itz not gonna hurt kids to grow ip wiyh them

Latest posts

Back