What does your daily Rabbit Care Consist of?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning: When I get up - let out the rabbit and try not to trip over him while I get ready for work. Spend at least 2 minutes scratching ears after I blow dry my hair and before applying make up to avoid getting nipped in the ankles for not paying attention. Before I go to work, give him his morning salad (prepared the night before).

Afternoon: when I get home from work, give him a few pellets and a little attention but he's not usually that active mid-afternoon.

Evening: Cleaning, fresh water, make two salads (one for morning and one for evening) and play time. Then shut him in his cage (he has free range of half the bedroom during the day).

Litter boxes get emptied every third day and really thorough cleaning (sweeping stray hay, hair, etc.) happens on the weekend.

When I had two, it was about the same but litter boxes got emptied every other day. I often had to clean up litter from everywhere too because one of them was a persistent digger. They weren't as demanding about attention though, because they had each other. Like EileenH, my rabbit is neat as a pin so I only have to do a little spot cleaning during the week and if I'm neat with bringing in hay, there isn't even much extra to do on the weekend.

A day in my life with Chinny:

5 am wake up, feed and water Chinny, then tend to other pets.

5:30 am take blankets and shake outside, put back in cage and give scritches.

5:45 am baby talk until time to get daughter up for school.

6am to about 11 am Chinny minds herself while I tend to the other 2 kids and the house.

11 am Chinny gets new hay blocks and her water freshened.

11:30 am clean out Chinny's litter pan

11:45-3pm Chinny minds herself.

3 pm Chinny gets her salad and more scritches.

4 pm I clean up after her meal.

4:30-8pm Chinny minds herself.

8 pm Chinny gets out to play while I do a light vaccum of her pen, shake out her blankets again, freshen water again, and wipe down her floor.

between 10 and 1 am she goes to bed and so do I lol.

Every morning around 7am we feed pellets and two bowls of greens for our bonded pair, plus a fresh bowl of water. I usually pick up any stray poops that have made it out of the cage part onto the rug part of their enclosure (the plastic cage houses the litter box and hay, but a poop will stick to their feet and get carried out of the cage into the pen area) and if they've pulled a ton of hay out of the racks I'll sweep it up (since one tends to pee on larges piles of hay). The pen is open at this time and they can run out to the living room if they want - usually one or both of them will come out for 5min while we're eating breakfast, but then they go back to finish their own breakfast.

Every evening we let them out to run around the living room from about 6-10. When we're ready for bed we give them more pellets and two more bowls of greens and check the water. I usually add some more hay every night if they're low. Feeding them before bed makes them very excited to go back to their cage.

I change the litter boxes about once a week or a little more frequently, which involves wiping down the plastic cage and both litter boxes and putting in new litter.

About once a month I dismantle the whole enclosure and vacuum the rug area (if they're shedding really badly or ripping up a lot of cardboard I'll pick up the rug area by hand more frequently).

In general it's pretty easy! My two are neat so I don't do much cleaning and I have their pen set up to keep the hay as confined to one easy-to-clean area as possible. I find the hay and fur to be the messiest parts - the cage keeps the hay in one spot and the rug is like velcro for their fur so it doesn't go flying around the house as much.

This is for my three single males. They will be bonded soon so this will change alot.

Morning
-Go back and say hello to them all.
-Turn on the heater so the room is warm for them
-Go to the kitchen and chop up there veggies into a big bowl
-Collect there food bowls and add in a small handful of pellets and divide the veggies out
-Refil the hay
-Open window and turn of heater (If I'm going for the day I'll close the window, if not it stays opened for fresh air)

Day
-Varies depending on what I'm doing but I go back to them alot checkingup on them, taking them out for floortime, holding them, making sure they're healthy, bring them down to the sitting room for a cuddle, etc.

Night
-Chop up the veggies
-Collect food bow, divide out veggies and give a couple of pellets
- turn on heater to make the room warm
-refil hay
-Collect water bottles, wash them out well and refill
-Put heater on low for the night

Twice a week the litter boxes get cleaned out.
Once a week the cages get wiped down and brushed. The toys get rotated between the cages.

Hi! Wow, even more posts - 24 total now. That's so great. :)
Once again, thanks to everyone who has replied so far and it has helped me get a better idea of what normal daily rabbit care consists of.
I noticed that you all pretty well do the same care/cleaning, but just at different times/scedules, (which I figured that's how it would be.)

Anyways, if you haven't already posted, please do.
Thanks again,
Pet_lover48

Mine isn't really all that complicated.

Wake up two hours before I need to be at work. 7-10 p.m. depending on the day. Get ready for work, pet Lily for 10 minutes, Jack if he's in the mood, feed and water them. Then I go to work, get back around 7-8:30ish, pee (seriously), say hello to them, lounge around for a while doing whatever, then I feed/water them and go to bed.

They don't get much out time. It's hard because they destroy the carpet, and it takes a lot of work to set them up in the kitchen. In a couple months I'm moving though, and things are going to get easier. Their cage set up changes a lot though, and I interact with them quite a bit. So they're some what not bored, but it isn't ideal. LOTS of strawberries and pumpkin apple puree to make up for it.

I tend to wake up late because I usually work until 12:30 or so, so by the time I get up at 11ish Kashi is up and waiting for his breakfast. He gets his pellets and we spend 15 or 20 minutes working on targeting after I get ready, and then I let him out for exercise. He takes over my room while I sweep out his chateau and make sure his litterbox is clean and full of hay. Then I put him back in his cage with his salad before I leave for work. When I get home before I go to bed we usually spend another twenty minutes working on targeting.

On one of my two days off a week, I bring him over to my boyfriends house where he proceeds to claim the entire room for himself. He also enjoys a cuddle with his female German Shepherd, who I'm pretty sure is convinced he's just a fuzzy baby.

I have one dutch rabbit:

8:30 or 9 am Chessie is awake and is rattling the cage to get her breakfast. I give her one scoop of pellets and a salad of greens with an apple wedge.

-after feeding, I give her a large handful of hay and clean out the floor of her pen. I remove the litterbox for cleaning.

-I take the litterbox to the garage for emptying, cleaning with plain vinegar and refilling with fresh litter

-Meanwhile, chessie has had the run of her room with the door closed. I replace the litterbox and have one-on-one cuddle time with Chessie for a few minutes.

5:30 or 6 pm It's dinner time! I give her a fresh scoop of pellets and a new salad with apple wedge. This time, Chessie gets the run of the whole house.

-Romp around time continues until I go to bed

10 or 11 pm: bedtime! I call for Chessie to go to bed, sometimes clapping my hands. She usually runs ahead of me to her pen to get one-on-one cuddle time. I say goodnight and give her lots of pets and kisses.

That's it! I do switch out her blankets once per week on laundry day. I also vacuum out her cage once per year--yes it's not really needed more than that. I guess she's really neat/tidy that way!

in the morning i feed butsy her pellets, hay and veggies and refill her water bowl . after school i open her cage and let her have her time with the other animals. after supper a sit on the floor, brush her and give her more veggies. play around and cuddle, then around 11pm she goes back in her cage for the night !!

I have a group of 3, and 2 single rabbits. The group of 3 free-roam the whole flat and don't have any cages, the 2 single bunnies live outside in separate aviary-style housing.
The house rabbit's care goes as follows:
Through the week
6am start
>Feed veggies to indoor buns
>Whilst they're eating, rinse/refill water bowls, top up hay, spot clean litter pans, occasionally leave out a small bowl of pellets or a handful of hay cubes
>Give them all a quick cuddle and check for anything out of the ordinary (lumps, watery eyes etc). Same goes for outdoor rabbits, one of them will be let out to free range the garden (The garden is predator proof, there's fox/cat/bird proof mesh over the whole garden as the last tenant had chickens) Leave around 7.45am
>Drop back in after college, around 1.30pm, top up water/hay, throw a few toys out for them all (I rotate them to keep the rabbits interested), and spend some time sitting in with the outdoor rabbits, then I'll go out to work until about 8.30pm
>When I get in from work, they get another small bowl of veggies, then they're groomed. The outdoor rabbit is locked away. At this point the indoor rabbits have a mad half hour dashing around the living room, until the 2 bucks hop up onto the sofa and lay down watching tv with me getting scritchies.
Then I'll go to bed, the 3 of them usually follow and either lay on the dog bed in my room or on my bed. On the weekends, I scrub out all of the litter pans, hose down/disinfect (F10) the aviaries, disinfect (again, F10) the lino/laminate flooring inside, wash rugs/beds etc, disinfect bowls and any plastic toys. In between this, I have a (very energetic!) dog, a hawk, an old pony and a horse to tend to.

get up..open their pens, tell Peepers to go back to her pen before I go to work(Jenny stays out all day),, get home from work, let Peepers back out, hang out with them in my exhaustion, spot clean litter boxes before bed, supper around 9, check waters and top up hay at the same time, while sending them to bed. yup, thats pretty much it lol. weekends I hang out with them all day and do full cleans.

Latest posts

Back